So frustrated...please advise!

I understand the frustration, and did go through it myself.
As Marian said though, "the presence of CC indicates that the FC is killing something and converting to CC's" ... so it IS working.
I am thinking your CYA may still be higher than you think... which means more chlorine may be needed.

You have mentioned several times that you were worried about the cost of chlorine by going over your target of 18ish. Making the slam last longer than it needs be by UNDER-targeting FC is more of a waste of chlorine than over-shooting a tad. Not yelling, just trying to help you understand.
She.

Last edited:
You have mentioned several times that you were worried about the cost of chlorine by going over your target of 18ish. Making the slam last longer than it needs be by UNDER-targeting FC is more of a waste of chlorine than over-shooting a tad. Not yelling, just trying to help you understand.
She.
Marian- something I said must have made you think cost was a factor, sorry for that. Cost is most definitely NOT the issue here. I am used to $200 a month In chemicals thanks to my wonderful pool store's "advice". Dumping a $3 bottle of chlorine in multiple times a day is preferential to green water. My only hesitation/frustration with the FC was people telling me to hit 16 for 40 cya and others telling me to hit 20 for 50 cya. Since I have been somewhere in between both of those readings for 5 days now. So I was trying to hit the middle. I just want clear water no matter the cost but do not want to continue dumping chlorine in indefinitely if it doesn't look like it's going to clear up the rest of the season. I dont mind putting in the effort if I know I will see results in a few weeks, but if it looks like it's going to be a 2 month process, I wanted some input on that too so I know when to cut my losses. Losses being my scarce and valuable time. If I thought it would work- I'd dump a gallon in every 4 hrs. Not even worried about bleaching my liner, just want to be able to swim safely. Thank you for your opinion and insight.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, your focus needs to be on FC right now. Once you are trying for an OCLT, then worry about CC's. I wouldn't even care if your CC's jumped to 3 right now. Keep the FC at 20 minimum and see what happens.
so don't attempt an OCLT reading until the water is clear-is that correct?

Of course you want CC to be 0. However, when slamming, the presence of CC indicates that the FC is killing something and converting to CC's. In those circumstances, seeing CC isn't nesessarily a bad thing.
I see. I misunderstood the definition of CCs I guess. I did not realize that their presence indicated death to algae, lol. In that case- come on combined chlorines!

Last edited:
It won't be a two month process. I think the conflicting advice was because of conflicting CYA levels. Go with 50 CYA/ 20 FC. Obviously 18 ain't workin'.

Yea, no sense in doing an OCLT now. Let's get that FC up and see the water NOT be green. That is the next step.

It is pointless to test for CC's until your SLAM is at completion.
Good to know-thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

So I simply maintain FC at shock level until green is gone completely and don't worry about any other readings. Brush, shock, filter, repeat? Just don't want to neglect some thing and then have someone tell me later on that I should have been doing this too. Thanks everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remember, we don't want to tell you how to manage your pool....we want you to learn. You should re-read the SLAM article and refer back to that for guidance........It's pretty complete.

Incidentally, whether your CYA is 40 or 50 is not relevant to your SLAM process. Just assume it's 50 and complete the SLAM.

Just saw your reply to Dave. Brush 1-2 times day and "MAINTAIN" FC at 20 as often as you can test but wait at least two hours between tests.

What do you mean by "filter"? Your filter should be running 24/7 during a SLAM if that's what you mean.

Last edited:
That is what it means... KEEP the filter running!
and keep an eye on the pressure... you will be backwashing as the algae collects in the filter!

Sorry all, a little sarcasm. My filter always runs 24-7...from the day I open the pool til the day I close. Just trying to lighten my mood- you know like wash, rinse, repeat. Thanks again for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

That is what it means... KEEP the filter running!
and keep an eye on the pressure... you will be backwashing as the algae collects in the filter!
Interesting you should mention back washing Ron...I know my gauge works-it's been tested- however I never climb 10 psi above normal startup. So at what point should I backwash?

Just keep your FC up in the slam range and all will be well. Once you have it clearing, perform OCLT and check CC's. I just cleared a pool for a friend and luckily theirs only took two days but it was only cloudy.

Have you added CYA? It makes no sense that it climbed from 40-50 but since it's a subjective reading I suppose anything can happen. Someone else mentioned they feel your CYA level is higher than you're thinking. I'm leaning toward that too.

image.jpg Sorry...hazards of working in HVAC in the summer. Thanks to some good advice here I am sparkling clear and clean once again with no traces of algae. Maintaining Good PH and CYA levels and FC is right where it should be. Thank you again to everyone for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.