What to do before leaving on vacation

May 31, 2015
OKC, OK
I leave for 12 days later this week, and I'm wondering how exactly to prepare the pool for this. I've currrently got the pool balanced so I just add 1 full bottle of bleach every 2-3 days, usually 3. So can I just so OK, put in 4 bottles of bleach, throw the solar cover on, and be good?

Anything else I should add to the water if it's going to be untouched for a week+?

The solar cover should definitely help. 4 gallons would increase your FC by about 23 ppm, so I'm not sure you need that much in there with a cover. What you add would depend on your FC level at the time you get ready to leave and your current CYA. I wouldn't go any higher than your designated SLAM FC level.

Before increasing the FC, it might be a good idea to check/adjust your pH if it typically rises every few days so it doesn't get too high.

The solar cover should definitely help. 4 gallons would increase your FC by about 23 ppm, so I'm not sure you need that much in there with a cover. What you add would depend on your FC level at the time you get ready to leave and your current CYA. I wouldn't go any higher than your designated SLAM FC level.

Before increasing the FC, it might be a good idea to check/adjust your pH if it typically rises every few days so it doesn't get too high.

My CYA is at about 70, and tomorrow evening ,my FC will prob be down to 5, maybe even a little less. So yeah, with the cover I am thinking 4 gallons should be about right.

My PH is pretty stable, even though my TA is high, about 150. In the past 2 weeks it's gone from 7.4 to 7.5, so I'm guessing it will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.