Best type of cleaner?

May 23, 2009
So there seem to be three types available; suction, pressure and robotic. Then there are endless possibilities and accessories, depending on which style you choose.

I found some good info here. http://www.poolcenter.com/autoclean1.htm

Since the term: "Money is no issue" is something we can't say at my house, it looks like a suction side cleaner may be the way we go. I found some great info on how to determine if a 2 wheel vs 4 wheel cleaner is appropriate for your system, if anyone would like it, I will gladly pass that along.

We do believe in spending money where it counts, so if I can justify it to myself- we will go with the pressure side cleaner, or a robot for that matter (or maybe a scuba-diver with a broom and dust pan!).

So my questions is: Can those of you who have experience with the different styles explain why one is better all-around than another?

Thanks again to everyone here, you guys are great!

Deke
Santa Fe, Texas

With a 20k pool like yours AND a cartridge filer you might be happier with a pressure side cleaner. The booster pump models are very effective and collect the dirt in their own collection bag and don't send it to the filter like suction side do. This means less frequent cart cleaning, which is somethng to think about. I would recommend a Polairs 280 or 380 (don't go for the more expensive ones...I like the 280 better btw--used to sell them) or a Letro Legend with a booster pump. Stay away from the Hayward Phantom (the Viper is not bad but I think the others I mentioned are better.)
Also, suction side cleaners reduce or stop surface skimming while they are connected unless you have a dedicated suction port.
If you don't have a dedicated suction or pressure port adding a booster pump suction side cleaner might not be possible. You might have to go with Polaris 360 non booster model or a suction side cleaner (Look into the Hayward Navigator, it's a patterned cleaner as opposed to a random cleaner and it seems to do a better job in most pools, IMHO)

So my questions is: Can those of you who have experience with the different styles explain why one is better all-around than another?
Generally, more money equates with more cleaning power.

Waterbear's advice is spot-on. There's additional info in Pool School

Waterbear,
I took your advice and went web-shopping. I have a page full of prices, and I am waiting on quotes from a few vendors. I am going with the Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner, as long as the port in the picture below is what the pool needs to make this work. The booster pump I have priced is a Polaris too. Please breeze through these and see if I am on the right track.
Thanks!

I finally took some pictures. Please see my questions below the pictures.
Thanks!

l_e2280ee38f0d41a1a16d01579b9fc7cf.jpg

Is this the port that the Polaris 280 will hook up to?

l_8c0080e99ce94ef295b4a9d140986d0c.jpg

Do I need to do anything with the other jets to help the Polaris work more efficiently?

l_7bee1051a8d4458683aea0cded121f49.jpg

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS? There is another one directly across from it. They are in the shallow end of the pool.

l_252cd1523c214db09c635f3ec7e49768.jpg

Here's another "thing" that I have no idea of it's purpose. There is another one of these directly across the pool.

l_6fa4042f93af46ffbfff08fc095de765.jpg

I don't have the cool little thing to balance the suction between the strainer and drains, and I wasn't sure the drains were'nt plugged- so I used the hose to "prove" the drains. One of the floor drains seems to work- which is going to have to be sufficient for now. Is that ok, or do I need to clear the other drain first?

l_4d76961faa89456899d0d773133be18d.jpg

My flow diagram.
Please disregard the questions in the diagram, you guys already answered them! THANKS!

l_c4e27b733e804a9db413354074a1e15d.jpg

My system. I have no idea if this equipment is good, average, poor or approaching death. Please advise.

l_93f321a7b3c047a7b54b6bc9860e3244.jpg

Soon to be replaced with a salt cell. (After I pick all your minds to determine the appropriate unit).

l_3488a883de7845e8bcc7f4e492f8255e.jpg

That's not rust, it's custom brownish-black paint! Is this a decent pump/motor, or should we start shopping? Can anyone identify the brand or any specifics about the pump from the picture? The motor is obviously a Centurion, but there are no identifying stickers on the pump.

l_ab630b1093104c02a48885922518110d.jpg

Are these reliabe? Is there a separate timer system that the booster pump will need, or can they be integrated?

l_79159566f61442a1bba98e6bf41dd498.jpg

Two questions:
Does the flow to the falls need to be restricted while the booster pump is running?
Will the booster pump pull suction from the small filter? It appears that the flow from the small filter runs to the port in the first picture.

l_b6082c4b53344b859285a814890d2e33.jpg

No question on this one, just wanted to show you guys my pool.

I realize this is a mish-mash of questions. The main focus in this topic is finding the best cleaner. I'm not sure if all these pics were necessary, but I didn't want to miss anything.
I want to make sure we can utilize the pressure side cleaner in this pool, with this system, before I spend the money.

Thanks yall! I would be in one heck-of-a-jamb without yall!

dekebell said:
Waterbear,
I took your advice and went web-shopping. I have a page full of prices, and I am waiting on quotes from a few vendors. I am going with the Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner, as long as the port in the picture below is what the pool needs to make this work. The booster pump I have priced is a Polaris too. Please breeze through these and see if I am on the right track.
Thanks!

I finally took some pictures. Please see my questions below the pictures.
Thanks!

l_e2280ee38f0d41a1a16d01579b9fc7cf.jpg

Is this the port that the Polaris 280 will hook up to?

EDIT: I just relooked at your post and realized that you have a Jandy energy filter. This is used with a Jandy Ray-Vac pressure side cleaner that does not require a booster pump. I have no real familiarity with with cleaner other than the fact it's expensive but it might be worth looking into since it would basically be "plug and play"! However, the supply is disappeariing since they have been discontinued since Jandy was bought by Zodiac (who also owns Polaris!) A non booster pump cleaner like the Polaris 360 or the Letro Legend II would also be pretty much Plug and Play. If you go with a booster pump model it will not be hard to convert your plumping at the equipment pad but it would requre some replumbing and electrical.
IF you do not have a dedicated pressure port now but have a dedicated suction port you will have to replumb the suction port to pressure and install the booster, not that hard to do in most cases. If you do not have a dedicated cleaner line it might or might not be possible to convert one of your returns to one. It depends on exactly how everything was plumbed and how accesable the plumbing is!
With a booster pump model and a dedicated line your other returns do not matter as they are 'out of the loop'.

If you do not have a dedicated cleaner line or a return that can be easily converted into one then I would recommend a Polaris 360 or Pentair Letro Legend II, neither of which require a booster. Your returns are a bit of a concern since they look older and nonstandard from the pics. You might have to rig up some adapters for a non booster model to work.

Hey guys,
I've been working my butt off and haven't had the chance to check in.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up on a pool cleaner that I bought- hoping it would last a season or two, and then I planned on getting the Polaris 280 and booster pump.

We bought this +/-$180 piece of Crud from Lowes that ties into the suction port of the strainer. It slid around the pool and did a half decent job for the first few days we used it. Now it barely moves. I've tried the adjustments they recommend both in the packaging and through their tech support- nothing seems to help. In addition to its lack of performance, it makes a ridiculously audible clicking noise while it’s doing its thing. It has done this since the start, and they tell me that it is ok (even though it’s horribly irritating and a little painful if you're in the water).

Has anyone tried the Tiger Shark? I guess we are trying to avoid tying into the system's filter, and trying to avoid adding a booster pump. If it's inevitable, then I think we will just go ahead and do it up with the Polaris system. I'm a little leery of an 110V extension cord being tied to the Tiger Shark. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Deke

The shape of your pool would work against you for an automatic robotic solution. If you wanted to go robotic, then it should be a remote control unit so that you can be sure it navigates all over the place. The most cost effective one would be the Blue Diamond model.

The main advantage of a robot is that it doesn't require any extra plumbing or piping or pumping. It's self contained.

Most people eventually seem to regret getting a Dolphin robot.
Most people seem extactic with their Blue Diamond robots, except those with odd shaped pools -- have to resort to the RC feature.
Its a mixed bag with the Aquabots. I like mine, but it might not work well in your pool.

But, they are expensive at > $1000.

Personally, for my pool, I really need an automatic cleaner because I need to run it at least every 3 days to stay ahead of bottom accumulations and minimize food for algae, etc.

Otherwise, go/stay with WB's advice of a pressure side cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.