Clorox Bleach Packs

brysclar

May 11, 2015
Tampa, FL
Has anyone tried using these in place of liquid chlorine? I just heard about them on TV. I know they dissolve fast, but I don't know the actual chemistry involved. I thought it might be easy to throw one in the skimmer every couple days... Thoughts?

They are dichlor (add CYA) and are actually a much lower % of chlorine than normal pool dichlor. They are mostly salt actually.

BTW, TFP does not recommend "throwing" any chemical into the skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: I assume what you are asking about is the same as the Clorox Bleach Crystals? But just in a small pack form?

I haven't and wouldn't add it to my pool. The description is linked below.
https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/downloads/msds/bleach/cloroxcontrolbleachpacks-regularscent2015-05-21.pdf

Looks like a form of dichlor with a bit of washing soda (soda ash). It would raise FC and will add CYA to your pool, along with raising pH and TA.

Best source of chlorine for your pool is chlorinating liquid because all it adds is free chlorine and salt. That or you can make your own FC with a salt water chlorinator.

It's fascinating that Clorox would market stabilized chlorine as being better for cleaning. The CYA would reduce the sanitizing power. But I suppose it's more gentle so you could use more of it. I don't like light beer either :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.