Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help finding suction side leak

1. Back To Top    #1

need help finding suction side leak

I've already replaced the o-ring on the pump basket lid and drain plug, and greased both of them. I've tried pouring water over the different joints b/n the ground and the filter and haven't been able to tell a difference. When the pump is running it holds prime and I don't really see any air in the pump basket, maybe a few small bubbles once in awhile. But my sand filter has a clear dome on the top and I can watch the air bubbles streaming to the top and the water level dropping. It happens pretty quickly. If I release all the air and then turn off the pump, a small amount of air bubbles into the pump basket but it stays full of water. The water level in the filter starts dropping immediately and I don't see any noticeable leaks in the connections.

Any ideas on what to look at next?
    IG pool, 20k gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: need help finding suction side leak

The water level in the filter starts dropping immediately and I don't see any noticeable leaks in the connections.
    You won't see water leaks. Air is sucked into the sytem and the water is drained back into the pool.

If the water continues to drop in the filter, the pump basket cannot remain full. Eventually, the water will drain out of the filter (replaced by air from the leak) and once the water is low enough, the pump basket will drain also and you will lose prime. Is that your situation?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: need help finding suction side leak

I've been running the pump 24/7 while I'm trying to clean up the pool, but I'm sure your right about the pump basket losing water if I left it turned off long enough.
    IG pool, 20k gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter