Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I just placed an order for the Doheny Discovery! I’m excited to join the club. This is my second year of pool ownership and after a rocky 3 months or so I found you guys and this has all been so much easier. I have a ton of fine dirt particles that settle in from nearby trees so I thought I’d try the Discovery since my old Polaris 280 is amazing at leaves but only seems to push dirt around the pool. I’m hoping to do a little less manual vacuuming.

I predict you will be very happy with the new robot. And amazed how much fine particles it will pick up when using the fine pleated filters.

Agree pleated filters are awesome for finer particles. However, I would run it a couple of times with the regular filters first.

Re: Finally, a club that will accept me as a member!

Thanks All, this is exactly why I asked the questions I asked. Intentional confusion which make it all clear as mud.
With all the great reviews and the price from Marina Pool in Co, plus the $50 rebate from Maytronics I pulled the proverbial trigger and ordered a Dolphin S200.
It was sold out of stock and back ordered until next Thursday. I don't need no stinking bells and whistles! I also asked for the dual basket setup. They knew exactly what I was talking about.
I anxiously await Sven's arrival. (Wife unit is Danish) (lucky me!) :)
Thanks for all the help, I will soon be part of the large club of happy Dolphin owners. Does it sing like flipper?

Ron

What's the purpose of the rough filter basket insert if you are already using the fine pleated filters? The water still has to pass through the the fine filters regardless? Just trying to understand it's purpose.

What's the purpose of the rough filter basket insert if you are already using the fine pleated filters? The water still has to pass through the the fine filters regardless? Just trying to understand it's purpose.

It keeps large debris like leaves and twigs from plugging up the pleats. The fine pleated filter needs as much surface area as it can get to have the proper throughput flow. If you obstruct the pleated filter with large debris that could otherwise be handled by the coarse screen, then you lower the efficiency of the cleaner and, under extreme conditions, could cause the motor to shutdown from lack of flow.

It keeps large debris like leaves and twigs from plugging up the pleats. The fine pleated filter needs as much surface area as it can get to have the proper throughput flow. If you obstruct the pleated filter with large debris that could otherwise be handled by the coarse screen, then you lower the efficiency of the cleaner and, under extreme conditions, could cause the motor to shutdown from lack of flow.
I guess what I'm getting at is that if that are pressed up against each other and the leaves or larger debris is caught on the rough filters, wouldn't that already obstruct water flow going through the fine filters on the other side?

Thinking about the design (I have the basket and pleated filters), I’d say that the debris doesn’t stay stuck against the smooth rough filter basket such that it would cause the same type of pressure degradation.

Practically speaking, I also see the benefit as easier hosing out of the pleated filters. I would get smallish junk in the pleats and it wouldn’t wash out as easily as the fine debris only.

Practically speaking, I also see the benefit as easier hosing out of the pleated filters. I would get smallish junk in the pleats and it wouldn’t wash out as easily as the fine debris only.

I bought the screen insert for my S200 and I use it inside of the pleated filters for this reason also. The pleats get the dirt and the screen stops most of the hard debris from getting lodged in the pleats which take some time to thoroughly clean when loaded with debris.

This robot is like a shop vac for the pool.

No matter what filter configuration you have, I suggest taking the basket completely apart and thoroughly cleaning it twice per season. It’s literally 8 Phillips head screws and the basket is completely disassembled. You can also take off the fabric intake flap and clean everything. I have found that fine grit will build up in the crevices of the pillars and between the filter panels and the housing making it impossible to pop out the filter panels (essentially fine sand greats a wedge effect). Taking the basket completely apart is easy and takes about 5mins with a screwdriver. You can then clean everything really well. I also soak my panels in automatic dishwasher detergent and warm water to remove any greases or organic build up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so i just got water in my DIY 14x30 and im under construction w dust and dirt I figured Id get a robot now the kids are gonna wanna swim next week when plumbing is hooked up and its filled to skimmer. I dont see anywhere online that rly carries the A30 or S300 models, doing a google search turns up every other model dolphin and dohenys. Is the link the the pool and spa place w the prices posted the cheapest found by the members here? I am going to go w the 30/300 only cause I need a caddy, its 100 bucks for one so i figured for 150 more it was a tradeoff w the added fuctionality or should I be cheap and get a 20 and buy a caddy seperate lol

I am on the fence right now between just sticking with my old suction side pool vacuum powered through the pool pump or getting a robot. One of the things holding me back from getting a robot is that in some ways it seems like it would be more work. I mean, with my vacuum right now, it stays in the pool all the time and I don't really ever have to clean it. I have read conflicting things regarding robots, some say they can stay in the pool 24/7 however, this is a copy and paste from the S200's owner's manual:

• After each cleaning cycle take the Dolphin out of the water to prevent accelerated wear and tear on its plastic parts.
  • After each cleaning cycle wash the filter bag or cartridge. Clogged filter bags reduce scanning and cleaning efficiency. Once every two months, wash the filter bag in a washing machine, using a regular synthetic cycle.
The S200 kind of sounds like a lot of work to me if you have to clean it daily and take it in and out of the pool daily. Am I missing something?

OK, so somebody tell me honestly, is this advice (see my post above) in the S200's manual just a CYA their attorneys make them put in there and it's really just bs, or is it to be taken seriously? Please chime in and let me know if you leave your robot in the pool 24/7, or close to it, and how many years you have been doing so with out the robot falling apart and breaking. Or do you all take it out after each cleaning as the instructions say to do? I really do want to be sold on getting a robot because I like the idea of not having to brush my pool, or at least not as much, but not if I have to babysit the thing.

I have only had my S200 for less than 2 months so no long term input available yet. I have heard of folks that leave there units in the pool 24/7. One of my reasons for wanting a robot was because I didn't want something in the water all the time like my suction cleaner was.

I take it out after each use and rinse the basket filters out. I rinse out the unit itself about every 8 cycles or so. I take the filters completely out once a month and rinse each filter more thoroughly. I roll the cord and store the unit after each use. When storing the unit I turn it upside down as I do not have the caddie (not convinced I need to do this). All of this takes less than 5 minutes of my time so for me this works and Im happy.

The S200 keeps my pool debris free and does much better than my suction cleaner did. Not by leaps and bounds mind you but there is a noticeable difference for sure. Plus the wall climbing to clean the tile is awesome...

...I roll the cord and store the unit after each use.

Do you use it every day or just as needed? I assume you don't need the weekly timer feature if you are manually setting it in the pool each time. I mean, it does have a weekly timer, right? Seems contradictory to even have a timer when the instructions say you have to take it out after each use, unless when the timer goes off, the robot knows to open the door to your garage, climb out of its place and roll on over to your pool automatically lol, that would be cool.

Now I got myself thinking...why couldn't they make a robot that comes with a fully enclosed weather proof inductive charging station which has a motorized door that can open to let the robot in when it's done cleaning and open to let him out when it's time to clean again. This would solve two problems. No more cord, and no more having to manually load and unload it into the pool. While they are at it, also make a large garbage can attached to the charging station where it empties the basket automatically and all you have to do manually is about ever week or less often go empty the larger trash can. Maybe they could use compressed air to dry it out, and then blow the debris out into the larger collector. This could be done, right? It doesn't seem impossible to me. If we could figure out how to land a rover on Mars and travel around collecting and analyzing dirt, we could pull this off too. Trick would be to make it affordable and thus profitable! :)

Yes it does have a weekly timer and no I don't use it everyday. No need to do so except there is construction around me. It only takes maybe 2 min max to drop in the pool, connect the power and plug it in.

To me its fairly simple: self vacuum and brush, use a suction or pressure cleaner or get a robot! Non of the available solutions are perfect but only you can decide what you want, what your willing to live with and what you need...

So someone tell me if they think I am off base here, but my logic is, I might go ahead and pull the trigger to get a robot and just plan on leaving it in the pool 24x7 on a weekly timer. My thinking is if it lessens the life say by 10%, so that it only lasts 90% of the time it would have lasted had I unloaded and loaded it everyday, I am totally OK with that. Do you think my math is close or way off, would it decrease the life by much more than 10%, or is that in the ball park? I know nobody can know the answer for sure, but what does your gut tell you, someone with experience with leaving them in the water, 10%, or more like 50% decrease in life?

Lets just say it's 10% and the robot would last 10 years with taking it in and out each time. So leaving it the pool would only make it decrease in life by 1 year. If you pay $1,000 for it, that is a cost of $100/year if you take it out each time or $111.11/year if you don't. Personally, I would be willing to pay $11.11/year for the convenience of leaving it in the pool.

Said another way, there is no way I would agree to taking the robot in and out of the pool everyday for the next 10 years in order to save $100. Think about it, if I came to you and said I had a job offer for you where I am going to pay you $100 in total and all you have to do is take a robot in and out of the pool everyday for the next 10 years, that's 3,650 days you would have to manually load and unload the robot, would you take the job if I only paid you $100 in total for the whole 10 years? I think I would need to make a lot more than $100.

Heck, even if the number was more like 50%, I still don't think I would take the job if you only paid me $500 to take it in and out for the next 5 years! So to me, even if it cuts the life in half, assuming it would last 10 years if stored out of the pool and only 5 if stored in the pool, I think I would still be willing to leave it in the pool 24x7.

Now, I understand if you reasoning for taking out of the pool is other than extending the life, then it could make sense to take it out. Like what ctrav said, he doesn't like seeing it in the pool, that totally makes sense to take it out then. I am just saying, if it is just to extend the life, then to me the math doesn't add up to make it worth it.

JJ you are way too far down in the weeds :)

Post when you buy your robot...don't forget to give it a good name!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.