Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I have a new Active 30i 2018 with swivel and I'm afraid it still will tangle.

Just to clarify, you are saying that it does in fact still tangle or you are afraid that it will when you try it?

I just joined the club. Got my Doheny's Discovery in the pool today and it did a decent job. Still missed a few spots near where it starts to slope up in the deep end. Maybe I'll still need to brush the sides before I run it? My pool's also big (44 x 24 with an odd shape), so maybe it just needs a longer run time.

I was hoping to ask a couple of questions that I'm sure are embedded in these 54 pages somewhere, so please forgive me for not reading through them all!

1) Am I correct to assume that the pleated filters are for bigger debris and the thin one will get the smaller particles?

2) I did not spring for the caddy. Where do people keep the robot when not in use? I read not to keep it in the pool all the time. I have a pretty safe neighborhood. Is it ill-advised to leave it on the pool deck? I don't mind schlepping it into the garage each time, since until now I was doing that with a huge hose and manual vac, but I wanted to check what most people do.

Thanks! I'm excited to enjoy the pool this year instead of spending all my time vacuuming!

Reactions: dad0118
The automation feature is on the S300i, Active 30i ie the premium machines. Probably only the 2017 machine power supplies and later will support this feature. It essentially allows you to turn the machine on and off by the outlet (or by having a pentair automation panel control an outlet). Normally the robot will be off when power is removed from the outlet. This mode allows for the robot to come on when the outlet is on. I spoke to maytronics today and they forwarded the following instructions which I have tried to upload.

Well, it also works on my S200 / Active 20. Just press the button below the 1/2/3 weekly schedule (while the unit is plugged in but turned off) for 10 seconds and it will flash several times indicating it is now in automation mode. Sure enough, now when I activate the plug using my home automation system, the pool cleaner wakes up and runs 1 full cycle. So now I can choose whatever schedule I want. And, I now have it integrated into my Amazon Echo. I just say "Alexa, turn on pool cleaner" and the S200 starts cleaning!! Cool!

If you don’t store it on the caddy, then you just lay it on its side. If it sits in its brushes with its full weight, the brushes will get irreversible “smooshed” (that’s a highly technical term...). If you don’t store it on its side, then up on two 2x4’s will work too.

I just joined the club. Got my Doheny's Discovery in the pool today and it did a decent job. Still missed a few spots near where it starts to slope up in the deep end. Maybe I'll still need to brush the sides before I run it? My pool's also big (44 x 24 with an odd shape), so maybe it just needs a longer run time.

I was hoping to ask a couple of questions that I'm sure are embedded in these 54 pages somewhere, so please forgive me for not reading through them all!

1) Am I correct to assume that the pleated filters are for bigger debris and the thin one will get the smaller particles?

2) I did not spring for the caddy. Where do people keep the robot when not in use? I read not to keep it in the pool all the time. I have a pretty safe neighborhood. Is it ill-advised to leave it on the pool deck? I don't mind schlepping it into the garage each time, since until now I was doing that with a huge hose and manual vac, but I wanted to check what most people do.

Thanks! I'm excited to enjoy the pool this year instead of spending all my time vacuuming!

You’ve got it backwards, the fine filter is the pleated one.

With the size of your pool, just try increasing the run time.

Thanks. Yes, my research seems to confirm only the S300i or similar models have the option for floor only. So has anyone with a floating solar cover had issues with the S200 or S300 getting caught up in the cover as it does the waterline? I guess my other options would be to get a model that does not do waterline, like the Nautilus CC?

My S200 has no problem with my floating solar cover. I was concerned it would mess with the laser somehow but the robot seems to do just fine under the cover. It seems to be more thorough without the cover on but that's probably due to drag on the cord as it drives around.

When it gets to the waterline the robot just sort of pushes the cover up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run mine twice back-to-back. Our pool is larger and there usually a few straggler pieces of debris after one cycle.

My S200 has no problem with my floating solar cover. I was concerned it would mess with the laser somehow but the robot seems to do just fine under the cover. It seems to be more thorough without the cover on but that's probably due to drag on the cord as it drives around.

When it gets to the waterline the robot just sort of pushes the cover up.

Yes, I too can confirm my S200 has no issues with my floating solar pool cover. It does not clean the waterline as well, but it does not get stuck or create any other real issues. I am VERY happy with the S200 so far. It cleans my pool well, even with a solar cover, and now is hooked up to my automation system so that I can turn it on and off as needed, even by using my Amazon Echo.

I don't have a cover but will agree the S200 works very very well. In fact mine climbed up on my ledge yesterday and cleaned it. I was shocked! I do have two ledges and this was the deeper one at 12 inches...

I wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get the rebate from Maytronics for an S300i when ordering from Marina. I received and registered on 5/12 and received my rebate check last night. I think that might be the fastest rebate check I have ever received.

Of course your mileage may vary, but thought I would share since it was a question recently.

I wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get the rebate from Maytronics for an S300i when ordering from Marina. I received and registered on 5/12 and received my rebate check last night. I think that might be the fastest rebate check I have ever received.

Of course your mileage may vary, but thought I would share since it was a question recently.
Thanks for sharing. Fingers crossed it will continue to be the case ?

JustSwim - I don't have a caddy as I figured it was just one more thing to lug around and store. I roll up the cord and sit my unit on the cord but not on the swivel. I have a large covered patio with a locked gate so its safe and out of the elements. Sitting it on its side works as well.

blueman2 - did you have to download software and install or are you saying it worked without having to do so? How did you integrate with Echo?? This would require leaving the unit in the pool and plugged in which I don't do but if I wanted to run back to back runs this would be useful....

blueman2 - did you have to download software and install or are you saying it worked without having to do so? How did you integrate with Echo?? This would require leaving the unit in the pool and plugged in which I don't do but if I wanted to run back to back runs this would be useful....

The feature is apparently built in to all S200/300/300i variants since 2017. But to clarify, all this feature does is allow the cleaner to start a cleaning cycle anytime the power is applied to it's plug. Normally, when you plug it in, you still have to press the start button. But with Automation enabled, it starts as soon as you plug it in. So what I did was plug the pool cleaner into an Insteon plug controller, and then controlled the Insteon plug with my Echo. There are several brands of plug controller and light switches that can be controlled by the Echo. I use a device called ISY-994i to automate my home and this device allows good integration with the Echo. It also allows me to write if/then/else programs to control when things happen. So I write a program to turn on the S200's plug whenever I say "Alexa, turn on Pool Cleaner", leave it on for 2.5 hours, then turn it off again. I also have it on a twice weekly schedule to automatically turn on at 10am. And yes, this requires I leave the pool cleaner in the pool at all times. I know this will probably shorten its life, but the convenience is worth it to me.

So for me, there was no advantage of the 300 or 300i over the 200. I did not want the caddy, and all the other features of the 300 and 300i are more than duplicated with my home automation system.

Thanks for the tips blueman2...I agree the S200 is a very solid choice and Im so glad to have chosen this one. In fact "Phin" is out there having breakfast as I type :)

The S300i has cleaning features that are activated from the App that can not be replicated through automation such as Ultra Clean mode and Tile- or Floor-only mode. Scheduling can certainly be duplicate through home automation, and even improved upon a bit, but that’s about it.

If you have an automation panel, such as an EasyTouch, then automating the robot through there using one of the relays to drive a standard 120V outlet would be a good way to tie the cleaner into an existing scheduling system. One could even get a second power cord, chop the plug end off of it and then simply hardwire that to a relay. Doing it through a panel with a surge suppressor would also help to protect the robot from power surges.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.