Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Anticipating future repairs for my S200, I was surprised that the Motor assembly and the Power Supply are the same for the S200, S300 and S300i. No difference at all. So how does the unit know what model it is? I am guessing that the S300 and S300i just have some software enabled that the S200 does not. But since the only active components (electronically speaking) are in the PSU and the Motor, one of those 2 needs to be told what model it is, right? Yes all have the same part number. Just curious for down the road if I need to replace something.

EDIT: found the answer. The logic for what model is located in the motor. The motor must be programmed by a qualified repair facility and cannot be done by the user as it turns out.

This was my logic for getting the S200. Unit is the same just different programming...I don't need a caddy and though I love automation the difference in price was not justified (at least for me). Bottom line I love the unit and "Phin" gobbles up anything that makes its way into my pool!

Anticipating future repairs for my S200, I was surprised that the Motor assembly and the Power Supply are the same for the S200, S300 and S300i. No difference at all. So how does the unit know what model it is? I am guessing that the S300 and S300i just have some software enabled that the S200 does not. But since the only active components (electronically speaking) are in the PSU and the Motor, one of those 2 needs to be told what model it is, right? Yes all have the same part number. Just curious for down the road if I need to replace something.

EDIT: found the answer. The logic for what model is located in the motor. The motor must be programmed by a qualified repair facility and cannot be done by the user as it turns out.

The automation feature is on the S300i, Active 30i ie the premium machines. Probably only the 2017 machine power supplies and later will support this feature. It essentially allows you to turn the machine on and off by the outlet (or by having a pentair automation panel control an outlet). Normally the robot will be off when power is removed from the outlet. This mode allows for the robot to come on when the outlet is on. I spoke to maytronics today and they forwarded the following instructions which I have tried to upload.

Attachments

• ADVANCED PS AUTOMODE USE.pdf
    179.6 KB · Views: 57
Thanks, Autopool!!! Gee, Maytronics really does a good job of hiding neat features like this. On their web site, they claim the S200 and S300 also have "Automation Mode", but I will confirm once I get my S200 next week. If anyone else out there wants to try this trick on their S200, let me know how it goes. This is exactly what I have been wanting so that I can control my robot while away.

On Friday I cleaned my Discovery to find a bolt hanging out of the bottom (at the intake grill?). The bottom of the bolt appears to have been rubbing the plaster of my pool. So, I'm concerned about that as well as what the bolt is actually supposed to be holding together! I sent Maytronics a support e-mail request, but no response yet. I've stop using the robot and have switched back to my Kreepy Krauly (oh the humanity!). Any thoughts as to what to do or how this might be handled by Maytronics? Thanks!

IMG_0552.jpgIMG_0554.jpg

On Friday I cleaned my Discovery to find a bolt hanging out of the bottom (at the intake grill?). The bottom of the bolt appears to have been rubbing the plaster of my pool. So, I'm concerned about that as well as what the bolt is actually supposed to be holding together! I sent Maytronics a support e-mail request, but no response yet. I've stop using the robot and have switched back to my Kreepy Krauly (oh the humanity!). Any thoughts as to what to do or how this might be handled by Maytronics? Thanks!

View attachment 77940View attachment 77939

Did you open up the robot cover and look at the filter basket and internals? There’s only 8 screws holding the bask together and a half-dozen inside holding the motor cover down. It would be pretty obvious to see if any of them are missing.

So I started digging around inside the basket housing and found that there is a 'door' which allowed me to stick my finger in the cavity where the screw was. After a while I was finally able to get the screw out of that cavity. I see all 8 screws on my basket and I see six screws inside the machine. Plus, the retrieved screw has a flat head and all of the others have a rounded raised head. Ipso facto, the screw was probably in my pool and not from the robot itself. So, back in the pool it goes!

Thanks for prompting me to get to know my robot internals a little better.

So I started digging around inside the basket housing and found that there is a 'door' which allowed me to stick my finger in the cavity where the screw was. After a while I was finally able to get the screw out of that cavity. I see all 8 screws on my basket and I see six screws inside the machine. Plus, the retrieved screw has a flat head and all of the others have a rounded raised head. Ipso facto, the screw was probably in my pool and not from the robot itself. So, back in the pool it goes!

Thanks for prompting me to get to know my robot internals a little better.

I might be wrong but that kind of looks like the screw that keeps the impeller on. If it's not that then it's definitely from the pool.

As a rule I usually don't have screws lying around my pool. I'll see what Maytronics says. Unfortunately I couldn't upload the pic on their web site. As an aside, the robot was definitely moving a lot of water. Does the impeller have more than one screw?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope just one. If you pop open the top, you should see two screws keeping the front top body piece on. Unscrew them and with a bit of wiggling that plate will come off. Then you can pull off the black jet assembly (no screws) then you should be able to see the impeller. There should be a screw going down the center of it.

Anyone run into issues in trying to get a hold of Marina? Was able to ask Margaret questions this morning and am ready to pull the trigger, but keep getting voicemail since mid-morning. Is it a pretty small one-man shop kind of place?

Yes, it took me a bit to get through to them the other day, but I just retried every hour or so. Yes, they can get very busy this time of year.

BTW, I did just leave a message and they called back about 4 hours later. So that is also an option.

Yes, it took me a bit to get through to them the other day, but I just retried every hour or so. Yes, they can get very busy this time of year.

BTW, I did just leave a message and they called back about 4 hours later. So that is also an option.
Thanks. Finally got through. Was trying to get the order in and shipped today. In the process of refilling my pool and could use the robot to help with the distribution of some chemicals. Also as an FYI, they no longer accept the forum discount for new robot cleaners. Only 10% for future parts.

Yes, I do use a solar bubble cover spring and fall when heating the pool and the Doheny's Discovery/S200 robot operates with no issues whatsoever.

I do leave my robot in the pool nearly all of the time year round. He works hard as we have lots of trees and it runs nearly every day since we got it about a year and a half ago.

My brother's Active20 got zapped by lightning. He ordered a new one from Marina today and they said this year's model has a swivel cord connection on the robot. That is good news!

My brother's Active20 got zapped by lightning. He ordered a new one from Marina today and they said this year's model has a swivel cord connection on the robot. That is good news!

Agreed. For me the primary negative on the 2017 and prior is the lack of a swivel. When I remove it each time, I have to do a 60 second cowboy lasso maneuver to remove the tangles created by the 2 - 2 hour runs which I normally do.

That said, I'm still thrilled with it into season 2.

Agreed. For me the primary negative on the 2017 and prior is the lack of a swivel. When I remove it each time, I have to do a 60 second cowboy lasso maneuver to remove the tangles created by the 2 - 2 hour runs which I normally do.

That said, I'm still thrilled with it into season 2.

Yes, 100% right. I'll get another one without hesitation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.