CYA High in SoCal

SDsurf

Jun 14, 2016
Encinitas, CA
I just got my TF-100 this weekend and as expected my CYA levels are high. My last few pool store tests had the CYA anywhere between 120-140. I have tested my CYA levels three times since I got my kit this Saturday and all three tests were right around 100 (used dilution method once). Last week my heater started leaking so I had a few days without running my equipment. My FC levels dropped to .7. I started to get a little algae on the sides of the pool. I have since got my FC levels up but I can see some algae when brushing the pool. Can or should I shock the pool with such high CYA numbers?

I am new to the forum but saw a recommended FC chart for SWG with high CYA levels but have not been able to find it again but i think with my levels of FC with a SWG my target should be around 9-10. Does that sound right?

Latest test results:
FC - 9.5
PH - 7.6
CH - 750
TA - 70
CYA - 100

Again in drought SoCal so do not want to drain the pool if I don't have to. Any advice is greatly appreciated.:D

In the future if the pump or SWG isn't running for any reason keep adding bleach to maintain FC and brush to mix it. A SLAM is the only way to kill the algae, here is how, SLAM Process. And here is the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You do not have to drain, it is possible to manage your pool with CYA at 100, just maintain the correct FC above minimum at all times. CYA will drop a few ppm, 3-5, per month in its own. Keep in mind that the PH test is not valid when FC is above 10.

I checked my FC levels at 11pm last night and it was 9.5. Checked again at 7:30am this morning without running any equipment and the level were the same 9.5. Checked it again this evening after a full day of 90 degree sun (with blue bubble cover) and FC levels were down to 8.5 again with out running any equipment. If I am not having a significant loss over night how will i know when to end the SLAM?

I still can't find the chart with the FC for CYA over 80 for SWG. I know it is here somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Based off the standard chart I would assume my shock FC levels need to be at 34. Does that sound right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.