Understanding my Pump and if its causing issues with my Aqua Critter

Cain

Aug 27, 2015
West Fargo, ND
The house we purchased came with a pool that had this pump setup:

20150830_163402.jpg

20150830_163415.jpg

From what I can tell its a SplashPak EF 75 unit for the filter. Looking more at the actual pump assembly, in particular the motor:

It appears to be a 1.0 HP unit.

My problem is this. I have a Splash pools Omega 20Ft round pool. When attempting to use the Hayward Aqua Critter we purchased, I get the impression that the pump doesn't have enough suction to power the little guy.

Based on this, I am thinking of getting a new unit. Looking at this site here, Best Pool Pump Reviews 2016 |Buying Guide & Comparison

these catch my eye, but i am not sure which is better, etc:

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1593 Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground 1.5-HP Pump with Cord : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter Inserts : Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump with Cord : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

I am hoping the extra grunt will help the cleaning unit as when it was doing its circles, it seemed to work well enough.

I am also wanting something that will fit with the filter I am using,which is a cartridge filter.

Also, as a side thing, anyone got a link on how to take the Aqua Critter apart to check it for an obstructions?

A 1hp pump should have plenty of power for the Aqua Critter. It is essentially the same cleaner as Diver Dave or Wanda the Whale. Here is a link to a repair guide. How To Repair a Hayward Aquabug Diver Dave or Wanda the Whale Cleaner - INYOPools.com
Has the cleaner never worked well or is it just now starting to slow down? Have you checked the pump pot basket for debris? When the cleaner is not hooked up does the return flow feel strong? Does it feel weaker when the cleaner is hooked up?

We got the cleaner in new friday. I got it setup and put it in and initially it worked well for probably 10 minutes with what appeared to be relatively good speed. After a bit it basically stopped so I figured that it had gotten debris in it so I rinsed it out and put it in again. It seemed to go much slower, but I still had a lot of water pressure (bear in mind I have nothing to go off of) from what I could tell.

I left it outside to do its circles and it was doing them, slowly though but I could see the lines from where it had gone. I cleaned the baskets for both the pump as well as the skimmer. I also worked the leaf net on the pole and picked up what I could too.

Eventually I saw it basically just stop. The feet would barely move so I looked around to see if anything was obstructed, nothing present. After that it was pretty much done, wouldn't really move even though I could see the water shooting out of the return pretty well. The feet would barely move.

To eliminate what I am thinking is a leak in the hose I literally went to two pieces of hose total. Still same issue. Even tired putting it right into the skimmer versus the suction plate, still nothing.

I know in the past I had issues trying to run the manual vacuum, but, my thoughts were this was working fine at one point. I am thinking I'll just return it as I am not sure what else to check.

Also, when I hook up the lines I can tell the flow pull is less.

Also, from what I can recall I could before articulate the feet before by hand no sweat, now, they are like stuck or very difficult to move.

My Diver Dan did the same thing, and when I disconnected from the hose and turned it upside down and it was clear. Couldn't feel anything, went in from the top, couldn't feel anything but thought I saw a glint of something reddish. Hubby took it apart and found a large piece of my neighbor's red rubber mulch inside the cleaner. Apparently when the suction was on, it was sucking it up to the top of the cleaner and blocking the water flow, but with the vacuum pump off, the piece was dropping back down into the body of the cleaner so we couldn't see it. Pulled it out, been fine ever since!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.