Newbie trying to raise ph

sarahk

Jun 12, 2015
Minneapolis MN
This is my second summer with a pool, and I had a pool company open the pool, although I've been balancing everything else myself. They added an algaecide, and I noticed my daughter's hair turning green, and a few copper spots on the lining. The pH has been a little low, too (starting at 6.8 and now at 7.3 after a week of rain), and I'm wondering if it's combination of both, or just the pH. The previous owner of the house trashed the copper coil heater from not raising the pH, and after paying $$$ to fix the heater, I'm terrified of doing that again. I read through the pages here on adding borax to the pool, but I'm hoping someone can guide me as it's my first time, and I'm a bit nervous. I've read if my pH is low, I shouldn't add the borax all at once, but slowly over time. Is that true? And, do I have to add Muriatic acid along with it? Is it okay to swim in the pool after adding it? My pool is really small, and I've over-added things in the past (thanks to the pool store suggestions, which I don't go to anymore), so any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you.
Here are my levels this morning:
FC- 11
CC-1
TC-6
TA-70 (this was at 110 at the beginning of the month, but has since dropped - we've had tons of rain and I've had to backwash more than usual, and back up with hose water)
CYA-20
pH-7.4

The green hair is from the copper. If the previous owners never replaced the water when the last coil went bad (from low pH), then that copper is still in the water. I would recommend a good water exchange - not 100%, but down to about 12" or no lower than the lowest step. That's the only way to remove metals. Once you get the majority of that copper out of the water, you won't have to deal with it again as long as you don't add algaecides which can also add copper.

Your water readings indicate you might have algae in the water too. So doing the water exchange first would be ideal. With new water, then perform a "SLAM" (link below) to remove potential algae. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let us know.

I did drain more than half of the pool last summer when we moved in, due to bad CYA levels (someone in this forum recommended it). So I don't think it is leftover copper, unless it is still lingering in the remaining water? My water has been sparkly and clear for over a month, although we did have some ducks that snuck in our pool a week ago, and I had to clean out what they left behind for us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.