Changing pump valve was broken at threads in filter inlet.

br1988

Jun 16, 2016
Chicago
I was changing my handy pump which lasted 10 years (guess I got my money's worth). Anyway long time reader of these forums and first time poster.

Anyways, I was changing the pump after opening the pool for this year and it was DOA, I was disconnecting it from the filter when I noticed the valve to the inlet part of the filter was broken at the threads with the thread of the valve still in the filter. I have disconnected the filter from the rest of the pool now, dried it, and brought it inside to look at it.

Any suggestions to get this stubborn piece out? I have tired to get a pair of pliers in there to try to get some grip to unscrew it but thought I would see what else anyone recommends?

Thanks.

If you are able to, get a hacksaw blade and see if you can make a cut, vertically, inside the broken piece. stop cutting when you get to the pump housing threads. This will significantly weaken the part stuck inside the pump. you should then be able to work a screwdriver in between the broken piece and the pump to continue to break it free. I am not sure if I explained this well enough. It is about a 15 min job and easier to do than explain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.