pump not starting

Jun 14, 2016
Robinson, IL
When I arrived home from work tonight I discovered that my pool pump had quit running. When I turn it off and switch it back on, it is humming but will not start pumping. Eventually the humming stops. Therefore I know it is getting power, but I don't believe the motor is starting the pump. I believe it is kicking off when the motor on the back of the pump is getting to hot. I am not able to run it in regular mode or to backwash. I was out of town for the last two weeks and while I was of town had some family check the pool. They noticed that the jets were not really pumping. They opened the pump to see if the basket was full and realized that the water was extremely hot. They turned off the pump and I had a local pool store swing by to look at it. They said that the pump had lost it's prime and they had it back up and running. I checked it last night after returning home and it was running fine. Today after I returned home from work it is doing what I have described above. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Ryan

Mine is doing the same thing. I've found that if I turn try turning it on multiple times (sometimes 8-10), it will eventually turn on. This has just started happening this season. I'm thinking the pump needs to be replaced, but would be curious to see if anyone offers any suggestions. I have a Hayward 1hp self-priming Superpump.

When I arrived home from work tonight I discovered that my pool pump had quit running. When I turn it off and switch it back on, it is humming but will not start pumping. Eventually the humming stops. Therefore I know it is getting power, but I don't believe the motor is starting the pump. I believe it is kicking off when the motor on the back of the pump is getting to hot. I am not able to run it in regular mode or to backwash. I was out of town for the last two weeks and while I was of town had some family check the pool. They noticed that the jets were not really pumping. They opened the pump to see if the basket was full and realized that the water was extremely hot. They turned off the pump and I had a local pool store swing by to look at it. They said that the pump had lost it's prime and they had it back up and running. I checked it last night after returning home and it was running fine. Today after I returned home from work it is doing what I have described above. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Ryan

What brand and horse power is your pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.