Acid Start up

rsbly

Oct 16, 2014
Lothian/MD
Just had my pool replastered with SGM Diamond Brite plaster (Cool Blue). PB provided a vendor to perform start-up (June 11th), adding 9 gallons of acid and one bottle of (30 oz) of Mega Iron Out Formula II. Acid amount sounds correct; the iron out formula was low since directions call for 30 oz per 10K gal.

I've read the Pool School - Start-up New Plaster instructions. There was a considerable amount of dust the first day of brushing, some the second day, but the past two days I didn't see very much dust get kicked up. So, my first question is, how long should I continue to brush before balancing the water? I understand I will need to keep brushing after water is balanced, but does 4 days seem too early to balance?

My second question, did the vendor miss anything that should have been added at start-up?

Third, after brushing this evening, I started to see small clumps of foamy bubbles collect on the surface. Is this normal?

My last question is, how long after balancing would we be able to start swimming?

Back story, we are only at the beginning of Season 3 of this brand new pool. Had serious plaster issues (standard plaster #501 Antilles Blue) and finally convince PB to replaster pool, and we paid for material at cost to upgrade to Diamond Brite. I want to ensure I'm doing everything correctly to ensure no problems this time around.

Probably doesn't matter, but water numbers are:

pH - below 6.8
CL - 0
GH - 225
TA - 20
CYA - 0

Thanks in advance,

Rich

If the installer gave you any specific instructions to follow after their initial application, you should follow those instructions regardless of what we say. Otherwise you risk voiding the warranty. In the absence of that, here are some general guidelines on an acid startup:

So, my first question is, how long should I continue to brush before balancing the water? I understand I will need to keep brushing after water is balanced, but does 4 days seem too early to balance?
This is more of a "when the condition is met" than a specific time interval. When all plaster dust is gone, neutralize the acid with soda ash/washing soda by using a base demand test, wait 24 hours and repeat if needed. When the PH reaches 7.2 or higher, check all equipment and turn on the circulation system. Clean the filter when the pressure increases 20% to 25% over the starting pressure. Add sanitizer in small amounts at first until the desired level is obtained.

Continue brushing the entire pool at least once a day for the first week and at least once a week for the rest of the first month, more often is better. Make sure to brush the entire plaster surface. Brush from the top of the walls down and from the shallow to the deep end to knock off any loose plaster dust. Do not use any automated cleaning system, built-in or robotic, during the first three weeks to avoid making any tracks/grooves in the new plaster.

My last question is, how long after balancing would we be able to start swimming?
I would wait at least 3 weeks before swimming (4 weeks would be better) for the same reason you do not want to use a pool cleaner during that time - don't want to make imprints in the new plaster. Waiting about a month to go swimming is probably not what you want to hear during the summer, but it's the short-term pain for a long-term gain kinda thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.