Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hotel Pool Water Testing Observation

1. Back To Top    #1

Hotel Pool Water Testing Observation

So, I was at a local large chain business hotel ("CY") working out in the gym this morning....pool is right in front of me through the windows. In walks the maintenance guy with a couple small taylor bottles with yellow and red caps and a test block from a k-2005 kit. He kneels over to get some water from the top of the pool into the test block and adds the requisite number of "yellow" drops from one bottle. Seeing that he never put in any powder to the test block, I'm assuming he's using a simple DPD test....but he never adds the second reagent to see if there is any CC....he just checks for TC....WOW. After checking the color really quickly, he dumps the contents back in the water. He does this with the "yellow" and with the "red".....double WOW. I wonder how much other "stuff" has been dumped into that pool.
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hotel Pool Water Testing Observation

Scary! Just makes me want to say thanks again for this great site!!
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

3. Back To Top    #3

why is pouring the tested water in the pool bad? I don't do it anymore cause of the threads I read on here, but I don't know why it's so bad.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    why is pouring the tested water in the pool bad? I don't do it anymore cause of the threads I read on here, but I don't know why it's so bad.
    because it's lazy and sloppy and CPOs are taught not to do it. Plus both DPD and OTO are suspected carcinogens (althought the small amount used in testing really poses no threat).

I look at it the same as throwing trash on the ground. It's a lot faster and easier than looking for a proper trash can but it's just not the thing to do.

(Then again there are those that pee in their pool and don't think anything of it either!)

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the info. it's actually a longer walk to the pool to dump them back in, so it's made life easier for me. I wonder if my constant .5 cc is because SOMEONE keeps peeing in the pool...hmmm...
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.