Filter Run Time

May 17, 2016
Brandon, MS
I have a variable speed Pentair pump. If I'm understanding the literature correctly, the default setting is to run for 8 hours at high speed, and then run two 4 hour cycles at progressively lower speeds.

However, my PB to me to set my timer on the breaker for 12 hours a day. Is this enough time for the pump to run?

The reason I'm asking is because I had a cloud in my pool that I thought might be mustard algae, but after running the pump on override for 24 hours on high, the cloud was gone. I have been running the pump on the 12 hour cycle since then (about 7 days) and the water has remained crystal clear.

I'm wondering if the cloud was an anomaly, or if I should expect this type of particle build up every so often on the 12 hour cycle. I want to run the pump as much as needed, but only as much as needed!

Thoughts?

Im not an expert but my reading suggests that 12 hours is longer than needed if the chlorine is right

I run mine for 4-5 hours and its always clear...

Edit to add - mine is a VS pump running at ~2000 rpm so its not at full speed either

I have a single speed pump that I run for about 6 hours each day. 2 separate 3 hour sessions. One about mid-day and one in the evening. Mostly based around trying to maximize daytime heating and when I normally test. It's plenty for circulation, provided I run my robot about twice per week. I would guess you need to run longer so that your Polaris can run. Does it clean well on low speed or do you have a separate booster pump?

I have a booster for the Polaris, and it does clean well. I think the problem may be that my patio is about 2,000 square feet, and we use a leaf blower to clean it....more dust than I think must be getting in the pool. I will change to an 8 hour cycle and see what happens. I doubt I need to run mine 12 hours if y'all are running yours 6 hours. I think I can lightly spray the deck with water before blowing it off, which should keep so much dust from flying into the pool. Thanks to all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.