Washout may have compromised the integrity of our build?

May 21, 2015
Clive, Iowa
Hello,
My husband and I just finished the construction of our AG 24' pool. We borrowed a transit from a buddy and we took countless measurements to ensure we were spot on level. Last year we had an Intex 26' round so the soil was nicely compacted but we removed a lot of the sand so that we were down to firm dirt in most places. We were probably 2 inches off level last year. We wanted this pool to be perfect so we took our time and did things right (well, almost)
The install was going great! We had pavers dug down to level for all 16 supports. The rail in between those supports was level. Once the liner was hung we filled it with about 6 inches of water and left it to sit over night for the seam test as we were instructed to do. We noticed in the morning that the tops of the walls were kind of pulling in and deformed. We continued to fill just thinking the liner had to stretch. Well, the liner gave way and lots and lots of water came rushing out around the bottom rail of the pool. We were able to grab the liner and somewhat lift it up and get a pump in there to start bailing water. We are guessing we lost about 1700 gallons. For awhile there was two inches of standing water all the way around the pool. It finally drained off. The dumb thing is that we did not install the top stabilizer rails so the liner got heavy and just fell. Letting all that water go.
Once we had enough water bailed that we could get the styro foam cove (that was floating) to stay back down we rehung the liner got the top stabilizer rails on and began to fill once again. All along my biggest worry is how much of our perfectly level soil was washed out from under those rails? The concrete pavers did not move, however, there was some washout that you could see along the sides of them and it is my understanding that those rails between the pavers must also be leve. The pool is now full, chemicals balanced, pump working great and I took my first swim. We are within 1/2" of level but here is what I notice. We were told that the seam that runs around the pool needs to sit in the middle of the cove. Well, for most of the pool it does, however there are spots or sections where the seam is sitting almost at the bottom of the cove near the floor of the pool. Is this okay? Next, I can go along the sides of the pool and now I can tell where there are some spots maybe 6 inches long and 2 inches wide that are washed out about two inches deep but the liner is sitting very firmly on top. These areas are just at the bottom of the cove. It would be hard to send pics since this is all underwater. So, we did have some wash out but the cove is holding firm. What are your thoughts as to the integrity of the pool? I want it to stand for a very long time. The DH does not want to drain and buy a new liner since we paid a bit more for the heavy duty one.
Your opinions are greatly appreciated. I have called all kinds of folks here to come and take a look but everyone is quite busy with openings and builds. Thanks so much in advance!

Well you are right that the bottom rails do need to be sitting on the ground and fully supported. If those decide to sag and bow down ward then you run the risk of the wall not being supported and held in place potentially causing a blow out. It's not as likely since you used foam cove. It'd be more concerning if it was a sand cove that could wash out.

As for the liner seam. Yes it should be half way up the cove but I will say that it really doesn't matter all that much. Liners are designed to stretch so any slight difference won't be an issue. Ours is right on in some spots and not in others but the seam falls somewhere on the cove.

If the pool is level and the blocks aren't sinking and the pool is still fairly level than I'd wait for everything to dry out and then get a better assessment of what the situation really looks like. Sure the bottom probably isn't as smooth as you like but if everything is stable once it dries out than hopefully everything will be OK.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give more insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.