Solar pump for solar heater

Looking to make a solar heater this summer. Not sure what the feed back here is for those. Really just going to coil 100' of irrigation line and let the sun do its work. Hoping only for a few degrees, but the more the better. Was thinking of using a solar powered fountain pump. That way, it only runs when it's sunny. Thoughts or suggestions? What would be a good flow rate? 100gph? More or less? Should have about 5-6 hours of hot direct sun each day.

Thanks!

Generally the cost of a DYI solar heating system is greater than the cost of a manufactured system. Moreover, they are much less efficient. See:

Amazon.com : Intex Solar Heater Mat for Above Ground Swimming Pool, 47In X 47In : Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com : Fafco Deluxe Above Ground Pool Solar Heating System : Swimming Pool Solar Heaters : Patio, Lawn Garden

A solar powered fountain pump may work. I'm not a pump guy. I would not expect it to lift the water or move it very far, especially thorough a solar heating system. Why not use the existing pump?

As the others have said about the only time the black hose home built solar heaters may be worth considering is if you have access to free black hose, even then the added backpressure will cause you to spend more money on electricity to pump the water than if you were to buy a commercial panel.

Ike

p.s. this is coming from a been there done that point of view

Thanks for the feedback. To answer some questions, was just trying options. The reason not to connect to my pump is a laziness thing. I don't want to have to worry about the solar heat running overnight because if was too lazy to close a valve. That was the idea of running off a solar pump (with no battery).

I didn't realize this would be so inefficient. May rethink, but the hose is relatively cheap and I may get it for free from a friend who does sprinklers. The biggest cost was the pump IMO.

My main pump runs 24x7 but only 1000 rpm during peak electricity time (7am to 7pm) runs highest from 7pm to 9:30pm and in between overnight (to keep noise down for the neighbours).

To get enough power and a big enough pump to make this work you are likely looking at spending $250 or so at ebay pricing plus the cost of the panels. Likely about 150 - 200 watts worth of solar panels and a 1/4 - 1/3 HP DC powered pump with enough head to prime the solar panels.

Ike

p.s. If shopping for solar panels, I bought a 100 watt panel off ebay a couple of months ago for a remote wifi repeater, it was a Newpowa brand and the construction was surprisingly good for the price (it was in the $130 range with charge controller)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.