Converting from Baquacil after 17 years!

I would think it is time... have you checked on the instructions for the conversion?

Are you only testing once a day now??

Not yet. OCLT has to be 1ppm or less

Shpibby,

Clean out everything you can find - lights, ladders, etc. Also, you might need to deep clean your sand filter a little with a garden hose. I know you'll be changing sand soon, but the Baqua goop in the filter doesn't backwash out easily and it may need to be dislodged a bit with a deep clean so you can pass OCLT. You could also just try backwashing a bit longer to see if any more Baqua goop will come out. I bet the combination of nasty filter sand and sone hidden nooks & crannies is what is keeping your FC loss rate elevated.

You're not there yet, but you are really, really, really, really, really, really, close!!!

There's something else there and it may or may not be BQ related. Do you have stairs? How do they look? If you have what looks like ring around the waterline on your fiberglass stairs, get some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and go to town. They work wonders, with a little elbow grease.

Have you removed and cleaned behind the screw guards that hold the liner to your stairs (as applicable)? Cleaned inside the eyes from the return jets? Cleaned behind the weir (skimmer flapper)? Skimmer basket? Frame? Main drain? Do you have a light?

Last night I added a little less liquid chlorine than PoolMath said I needed to reach 15 FC. An hour later I tested the water and it read 18.5! The same thing happened the night before, but it tested 18 FC. Unlike the past few mornings of thesting the levels around 7:30, today I got up at the crack of dawn - right before the sun came up - and did my morning test. The FC count was 17.5. I'm really confused as to why the FC level has ended up being higher than expected at night after adding less chlorine than what PoolMath had instructed.

Hot weather has caused water volume to drop a little, stronger chlorine than expected are two reason why the FC may come out higher. Whatever the case, the OCLT should be based on tested starting numbers, not calculated numbers.

You can probably get it at a box store, but sand is the one thing I had no problem going to a pool store for. For the most part, they only sell filter sand. However small of a risk, a box store sells playground sand, water table sand, horse shoe sand, etc. And it could also be mis-marked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK - looks like I'll be going to the pool store after all :) I also will need CYA. Any advice on where to buy, what to buy (brand) and and how much I should keep on hand? Do I add the CYA right after changing the sand this afternoon or wait until tonight when I plan to raise the chlorine level? Sorry for the rapid fire of questions, just want to be sure the pool continues looking this good!!

Adding granular CYA can take up to 24 hrs to dissolve using the sock method. So get the CYA in the sock in the pool as soon as you change out the sand.

I don't have a sand filter but I'll assume whatever the pool store is selling for sand will work just find. Don't get hoodwinked into buying glass or zeolite - plain old pool sand works just fine.

I use BioGuard brand stabilizer. Not sure what others use. Someone posted that the Clorox brand stabilizer dissolved really fast. So whatever granular CYA you can find will do. Liquid stabilizer is like 3X the price for an equivalent dosage of the granular stuff so don't buy it unless you really like to pay the up charge for the convenience of liquid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's an update. After adding CYA Saturday night my FC levels have gradually gone down. Sunday afternoon - FC 16.5 CC 0; Sunday night - FC 13 CC .5; Monday morning - FC 12 CC 0; Monday night - FC 9 CC 0; Tuesday night FC 5 CC 0...PH has remained right around 7.2. Should I add anything tonight? We will be out of town all day tomorrow/tomorrow night and I won't be able to check the levels until after midnight when we return. At what point should I check the CYA levels? Anything else I should be checking or do I need to wait to declare the conversion complete? As I move on tot he next phase of TFP ownership, I will definitely need some advice on keeping this hole full of water looking this good :)

;

I say you're done. Now you just have to move into the maintenance phase of getting your water into the recommended ranges (you're probably there already for most of them) and then just keeping it beautiful. You'll have to measure and adjust your CYA based on what your daily chlorine usage is. If your usage is high, then the CYA may need to be bumped up as 30ppm is really the low end of the scale.

As for vacation - bump your FC up before you leave. Going back up to 10 or 12ppm is no problem.

You could, if you wanted to, head to the pool store and buy one of those blue chlorine tablets floaters and a couple of 3" trichlor tablets (look like hockey pucks). You could float that in the pool and that way have a continuous source of FC. The additional CYA added would be minimal and not adversely affect you going forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.