Cloudy skies... no, wait, cloudy water

Hi Jezza, the pool is completely clear. You can see everything in both deep and shallow end. It is great. I only need to adjust a bit my numbers.

This morning I took the first complete reading after the deep cleaning of the filter. Here are the numbers:

FC: 4
CC: 0
TA: 150
PH: 7.6
CYA: >20

I did not read the calcium hardness, which was 160 on the 18th of June. Now, I used the pool math and it asked me to add 6lbs 11oz of stabilizer to get my number to 40, which is my goal. It is a lot to put in a sock and leave it there. Is there a liquid form that i can use for at least part of the required amount?
Should I worry, or adjust the TA?

Had a load of bathers yesterday, so I am going to add about 1/2 gallon of chlorine for the day.

Thank you so much everyone for sticking with me and guiding me to find the solution for my pool.

Good job Brasilmom- I admire your perseverance through the whole effort. It's amazing how much stuff comes out of a sand filter when you do a deep clean.

Don't waste your money on liquid stabiliser -its about twice the price and 1/3 the strength of granular stabiliser.

Your TA is high and you'll probably find that you'll need to bring it down which will help to stabilise your pH rise and reduce your MA additions. Once you get to a spot where your pH is steady you'll have reached your TA destination. You may find that this will be around anything from the 50-100 mark. Look at this link Lowering Total Alkalinity

Your in a good place now- keep your FC at target for your CYA level and keep pH within range and enjoy the swimming. :swim:

Thank you Jezza. I could not have done without the help of this forum.

Got my husband on board to, as he is now a believer. We got the powder stabilizer and I know it will take few days for the numbers to be completely in balance, but at least the pool is crystal clear and we are enjoying it that much more.

I will read the article and get going towards improving my TA. My PH has been stable, but with my TA high does that mean that I am fooling myself into believing that my OH is stable? What are the other problems that a high TA can cause?

Thank everyone.

Lets not do anything with your TA just yet. Lets get the CYA in and tested. The TA is the last thing we tweak.

Your PH might take a slight hit with the CYA addition. Just keep an eye on it.

You can and should squeeze the sock to help dissolve the CYA. Once it is all dissolved run the pump for the rest of the day and do the test the next day. It should show up then.

Kim:cat:

Thank you Kim. I did one thing only. I added my jet thing to the return and pointed them up. The pump is running on low 24/7, except when I add product, then I run high speed. I will be working with the CYA. Since I have to add 6lbs, I imagine it will take few days to get it all in. I need to look for a bigger sock; the one I am using now is just a short one and takes about 1/2lb at a time. Anyway, I will post some update once I get it in and tested. For now I will let the water get some aeration.

The stabilizer addition to the pool is completed. I took a test this morning and here are my numbers:

FC = 9
CC = 0
PH = 7.8
TA = 150
CYA = 50

My TA is not going down, but consider that my FC is still a bit high, I imagine it will be a bit before it gets down. I have the jets faced up, and I hope this will help. I took the socks from the skimmer and the pump is now on low. How long should i give before taking an action on the TA?

Thanks.

FC has no impact on PH or TA. Raising the jets to aerate will raise PH. Use muriatic acid to lower PH and TA and then aerate to raise PH and not TA, more here, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. There is no real need to lower TA, high TA will just push your PH up. But, lowering OH with acid will also slowly lower TA over time.

Be sure to keep chlorine above minimum at all times for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

I totally got it wrong. I thought the aeration would lower TA. Oh well, too much in my mind.

Thank you for pointing it out and for the help. I am above the minimum and will keep it that way. The water is holding chlorine nicely, so I am not adding a bunch. 1/2 gallon has sufficed.

I will point the jets just forward in the water rather then upwards and monitor the PH. If need be. I will add a bit of MA to lower just a bit. Overall I am rather happy with the pool. Water is super clear, and for most part balanced too. CYA is back up, and the weather is beautiful.

Well, if you excuse me now, I have some swimming to do. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.