Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HTH 6 way walmart test kit- alkalinity testing question

1. Back To Top    #1

HTH 6 way walmart test kit- alkalinity testing question

My dad brought me a sample of his water to test alkalinity as they were getting a wierd result which I just duplicated with my fresh test kit.

25 ml of water, added 5 drops of indicator which turned the water green. At about 250 drops of titrant the water turned yellowish orange, kinda like the ph indicator for 7.2. More drops did not turn it any shade of red like it's supposed to. I stopped at 30 drops.

Their pool has 100+ ppm of CYA, and I now have their bleach at 15+ ppm. Is this interfering with the alkalinity test? Ph is registering as 7.2.

If the high bleach is the issue, should I add the chlorine neutralizer drops I have from my old test kit then retest, assuming I have any of it left?

2. Back To Top    #2

I'm no chemist, but just wanted to pop in to say that I have not had that experience with high chlorine levels affecting the TA test. I use both the TFtestkit, an HTH test kit and Kem-Tec strips. The only problem I have seen is with my AquaCheck strips - they record almost nil TA no matter what the chlorine ppm, it seems.

I tested water that had chlorine level of 30 with no adverse results in the TA test. (Used all 4 of the above kits on the same sample)

So maybe it is the high CYA or even possibly a high or low CH level? Have you tested CH? Or, it could be something else.
    Also, how quickly was the water tested after the sample was taken?
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3
    With FC above 15 several of the tests can become unreliable. PH in the Taylor and HTH kits is compensated to a FC level of 15. Alkalinity and calcium often misbehave below that in the cheaper test kits (such as HTH), but generally work in the Taylor kits. The chlorine neutralizer, if you have it, should work for alkalinity and calcium, but won't really help the PH test.

One work around is to leave a small water sample in direct sunlight for several hours. That should lower the FC level enough to do the tests. The results will be a bit less accurate though.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    The chlorine neutralizer did the trick. Test worked like it was supposed to.

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

The thing that I'm curious about is why would you have the issue with basically the same test kits that I have, and I never have to do that.
    Buggs

Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Buggsw, do you have 100+ ppm CYA and 15-25 ppm FC?

7. Back To Top    #7

No, I had a CYA of 45 at the time. The FC was at 30. So perhaps it was the CYA affecting it?- is that what you were thinking?
    Buggs

8. Back To Top    #8
    I have no idea. Since bleach doesn't seem to be a common denominator, CYA is suspect.