Can't balance free chlorine - nothing is working

I'm obviously a total noob but am confused because the Pool Math calculator told me to add 5.8 jugs and I added 7 and it only brought my FC ppm up to 3.2. My CYA is high (66ppm) so is that possibly why? I entered this in the calculator as well but didn't seem to have any difference in results.
Well, I totally missed a CYA reading of 66. It will be almost impossible to complete a Baqua conversion following our standard methods with that much CYA in the water.

I'll admit, I'm at a loss....

This scares me :( And the young employee at the pool store told me to increase the CYA. I did what I was told. I wish I came here first :( I have no idea what to do. Am I just wasting money now by buying all this liquid chlorine and adding it to my pool? The FC levels drop every couple hours...I'm happy to keep trying if it will eventually work...I just think it will be nearly impossible to get the FC level up to 15ppm with the CYA at 66. I'm going to test on my own tomorrow and get a test at a different pool store just for comparison...any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. My fear here is replacing the water :( My liner is original and I fear draining the water will collapse my liner...although I know nothing about that either so maybe I shouldn't assume...

First thing is first.......Welcome to the forum! Let's all take a second and step back just a touch. We'll help you with this process and shortly you'll have a sparkling pool. PROMISE!

For starters, let's ignore the pool store. Their advice will lead you deeper into debt with little to nothing to show. In fact, they've already done that by selling you some tablets you don't need. About 5 years ago I found myself in the same boat as yourself, wanting to ditch Baqua and convert to chlorine. I found myself listening to the pool store list hundreds of dollars worth of stuff I needed and I fell numb. Fortunately for me I ran out of the store screaming as my head was ready to explode. I suspect you're about to do the same with TFP as we've ran all over the place. Please, don't. We want to help you and we've got the ability to help you with this process.

That said, let's start simple.........
What test kit are you using for the conversion?

Perfect! Sorry I missed that earlier.

I just think it will be nearly impossible to get the FC level up to 15ppm with the CYA at 66. I'm going to test on my own tomorrow and get a test at a different pool store just for comparison...any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Just to confirm again, your reading of 66 for your CYA, was that from your test kit of the pool store?

Perfect.......well sort-of.

Unfortunately your pool store goofed greatly and likely gifted you some headaches by having you add those tablets to your pool. By increasing your CYA level your chlorine level (FC) now must be even higher than if your CYA level was zero. How much higher, sorry to say but a lot.

With that said, now for the "less" bad news. :)
Your low CC levels indicate that there may not be much Baqua in the water to convert. Tomorrow morning can you please take a photo of the water and post it. I am interested just how "green" it is. From here we can decide of its worth your wallet to continue or if a slight drain/refill would be in your best interest.

Leebo - don't kill me, but the combined chlorine levels were tests from the pool store as well (yesterday). I've only been testing free chlorine. I can test combine chlorine in the morning as well if that will help. I will take photos and post.

I'm confused what you mean by this part...I don't really know what that means. My FC level keeps dropping, rapidly. Perhaps at this point it's not even important for me to understand...

By increasing your CYA level your chlorine level (FC) now must be even higher than if your CYA level was zero. How much higher, sorry to say but a lot.

More to come in the morning.

Again, thank you all so very much for your dedication and help!

Last edited:
Okay tested this morning at 7am. Last test was around 10 or 11pm last night. Pool temp is 69 (cold). FC is around .8 or 1 ppm. Before as the Chlorine dissipated my pool would turn clear again, but now, it's just staying this ugly greenish / yellow color. I'm assuming it's because I have all that combine chlorine in there now...here's the pictures. One is an overview of the pool and the other is the deep end (8 ft). You can clearly see the bottom.deep_end.jpg

green.jpg

I'm obviously a total noob but am confused because the Pool Math calculator told me to add 5.8 jugs and I added 7 and it only brought my FC ppm up to 3.2. My CYA is high (66ppm) so is that possibly why? I entered this in the calculator as well but didn't seem to have any difference in results.

Because you added it over a couple of hours, the pool was consuming the chlorine faster than you can add it. You may need to add 7 gallons of chlorine to the pool and then an hour later need to add 7 more gallons. Your pool will use up chlorine at an astonishing rate at first.

Check it every hour and add more chlorine until you see an hour go by with little loss. You may see the pool go from shock level to near 0ppm in an hour, so you can't wait longer and you can't add less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well poo......clearly you have more Baqua in your water than I was hoping. :(

You're stuck here.......the high levels of CYA in your water for the Baqua conversion will make it difficult to convert. The older liner however will make a drain/refill difficult. Both are do-able however. That said, I'd like to ask a few simple quick questions for you and explain what is going on and why we are interested in this. Do you happen to have a few brief minutes to discuss this via the phone? If so, can you PM me your number and I'll call shortly. If not, I'll respond here but it's likely easier via a "live" discussion.

Hey Leebo and Steve. I have been following this thread with great interest. Not that anything in this thread applies to me, (nor do I have anything intelligent to add) but I am so intrigued by this stuff and very interested to learn.

Steve: Listen to these guys. They know what they are talking about. I hope you get on the phone with Leebo and get this resolved. Follow HIS advice. But as a favor I am asking if you guys can keep this thread updated on the process and steps you are taking and how it all eventually works itself out.

Again, this is strictly for my learning experience and interest. I have never had nor have known anyone with a Baqua pool.

Good luck. Don't get frustrated, stay positive. Once this is resolved, gain as much knowledge as you can from these guys and you will have much less pool headaches (and less monetary expenditures) going forward following their methods.

Hey Leebo and Steve. I have been following this thread with great interest. Not that anything in this thread applies to me, (nor do I have anything intelligent to add) but I am so intrigued by this stuff and very interested to learn.

Steve: Listen to these guys. They know what they are talking about. I hope you get on the phone with Leebo and get this resolved. Follow HIS advice. But as a favor I am asking if you guys can keep this thread updated on the process and steps you are taking and how it all eventually works itself out.

Again, this is strictly for my learning experience and interest. I have never had nor have known anyone with a Baqua pool.

Good luck. Don't get frustrated, stay positive. Once this is resolved, gain as much knowledge as you can from these guys and you will have much less pool headaches (and less monetary expenditures) going forward following their methods.

I did speak with Leebo. Very nice man and very knowledgeable. Given the age of my liner and the risk of possibly losing it and the cost associated with draining and purchasing new water, we decided to go with the method of adding more liquid Chlorine. Unfortunately I used my entire stash last night so will have to head to Walmart today at some point to purchase more. As of now I have no "slime" usually associated with a Baqua conversion just green / yellowish water when liquid chlorine is added. So as soon as I stock up the plan is to:

1. Add 5 gallons of liquid bleach, scrub the pool and wait 2 minutes and do a test. We are more interested in the coloration of the water sample to see if it is a dark pink.

2. After an hour I will test again and add 5 more gallons of liquid chlorine. My goal is to try to get the FC ppm up to as 15 as best I can. Given my high CYA and the crappy advice from the pool store, this will be difficult to achieve.

This is a learning process it seems for everyone (def. for me!) with my current situation so it's a bit of a waiting / testing game.

2. After an hour I will test again and add 5 more gallons of liquid chlorine. My goal is to try to get the FC ppm up to as 15 as best I can. Given my high CYA and the crappy advice from the pool store, this will be difficult to achieve.

Im gonna somewhat edit this comment. The CYA level here won't affect your "goal" of achieving 15ppm. You will simply need large amounts of chlorine to maintain your 15ppm level. This is simply due to the nature of a Baqua conversion. This process uses chlorine quickly......very quickly in fact.

Your CYA level will come into play is your chlorine is now "calmer." It may require us to suggest you aim for an even higher FC level rather than aiming for 15ppm. How high, were simply not sure.

Okay. So I went to Walmart. Had to post a pic of that :) 20 128 oz. jugs.

Added 5 jugs and tested for you Leebo so you can see the coloration of the FC test. Scrubbed after, all over the pool. After testing it was at around 1.2. In 1 hour as you recommended I'm going to put in another 5 gallons. We'll see and keep at it...

5galtest.jpg bleach.jpg

Okay, it's been one hour and I added another 5, 128 oz jugs. This time I tested immediately after again and the color was dark for FC RIGHT AWAY - without stirring. After swirling it became very dark. Below is that test. Excites me for some reason because it's the darkest I've had yet. I then added 25 drops and the color barely changed. Not sure if it was silly or not, but I stopped after 25 drops. So at 25 that puts me at 5 ppm so that's the highest I've had yet. Still seeing brown water as Chlorine is added but dissipates and leaves the pool clear green.

I have my step-daughters 8th grade graduation so I'll be away from the house tonight for a couple hours, but I'm going to try to keep the FC up. Just not sure how many jugs to add. Leebo and others, I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

Just after adding 5 jugs:
second_batch.jpg

After adding 25 drops the color is still dark. I stopped.

post_drops.jpg

The chlorine is still being consumed as it works to convert the Baqua. It's a good sign that you're seeing some red........now we need to keep it up there. Next time that you test add 10ml water to the vial and complete your test until the water is clear. This will show you just where you stand. From there we will direct you as how much bleach to add.

Well it's been five and a half hours since my last test and I wasn't expecting much. However, I just tested (9:35pm) and my FC is holding!!!! I did the 10 mL test, Leebo, and my FC is at 6.5ppm.

I'm ready to add more Chlorine :) I just need to know what you would recommend what the next steps are!

Pool is still yellowish / green but my FC is up the highest its been and holding longer than ever! I'm also continuing to run my pump 24/7. This weekend I was planning on cleaning my filter as well. Do you think that's a good idea? It's only 3 to 4 weeks old but given all the Baqua stuff I'm wondering if I should change the DE. The pressure isn't too high though...

Great. Let's bump it up again to 15ppm and see what occurs. Go ahead and add 2 jugs (you're still using 10% chlorine correct?) tonight. Tomorrow we'll see if there's any change (not likely, but we'll see) and likely start to get more aggressive with your chlorine levels. If it were me I'd give the filter a good back flush to help clean everything. As you back flush you will lower your Baqua and CYA levels once you add fresh/clean water. Do this anytime your filters pressure increases 25% over your starting pressure.

You have ordered more reagents correct? ;)

Leebo - I have no added more reagents, but I will tomorrow. Crazy night, step-daughter graduated 8th grade, then dinner, etc :) I will order tomorrow. You did say you had a link, right? If not, I can probably find the refills online.

I will add 2 more jugs and yes, I'm using the Walmart 10%.

Only thing - I can not backwash my filter, it doesn't have backwash capability. All I can do is open it up and clean it. I can open up a valve though to empty out water, perhaps while vacuuming and then refill with the hose with some fresh? I'll wait to hear back on that. Adding the Chlorine now and will test in the AM.

More to come!

Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.