Chlorine STILL too low!

May 18, 2009
We have a 24,500 gallon inground pool. Because of my lack of attention to my SWG, my free chlorine level reached 0. My pool store had me put in 10 pounds of super soluble chlorine. How long should it take for the chlorine level to increase? I have test 3x since adding the chlorine and have seen no change after 5 hours.

Welcome to TFP!

It would be a huge help if you could post a full set of water test results.

Fighting algae is a process. It is quite unlikely that one chemical addition will take care of things. You need to know your chemical levels and adjust things based on that. Try reading the fighting algae article in Pool School for some background.

Most likely all the chlorine was used up fighting the algae and the algae is now growing back. On the other hand it is possible that your chlorine test is giving an incorrect reading. What kind of chlorine test are you using? OTO: drops turn a sample yellow which is compared to a color chart, DPD - drops turn a sample red which is compared to a color chart, FAS-DPD - powder turns a sample pink and drops turn it clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.