Fixing to start slam

Re: Starting slam

Congrats on your successful drain/refill to lower cya. If you happen to have any muriatic acid or dry acid on hand, you could drop ph to 7.2 or 7.4 before you bring FC above 10, but this isn't necessary if you don't already have the acid. just start the slam. your testing sounds great, but if you're still worried, here is the video of the fas-dpd test in action. Don't forget to refresh your memory on SLAM procedures and ask any questions you have!

I have been brushing like crazy...Before I filled pool back up, I did wipe down fountain, skimmer walls, took out lights and wiped all down with Clorox wipes...and I continue to brush them as well..I do have wedding cake stairs, so you think its wise for me to take them out and clean? There is a big opening behind the stairs, and a few holes for lights, so when I pour bleach, ive made sure to really dump a lot around the stairs...this morning my FC reading was 25, but since I wont be able to check it again until I get home, I poured a jug just to be safe, for we are finally going to have sunny and hot days this week...lower 90's all this week, so im sure ill lose a lot during the peak afternoon..

Ill work on getting that out and inspecting...We actually have two 5 gallon buckets of cement in side the stairs only because we heard ppl having trouble of the stairs not holding with just the suction cups..At least its easier to lift something in water..

My pool was installed last week of july last year, and got about 5 weeks of swimming..I ran my pump all winter for about 6hrs a day and of course kept readings in excellent shape..My water has been clear ever since we had it installed...

I went back through this thread to refresh my memory. A few takeaways I got were:
- SLAM is still very young (started 4 June); so no need to feel rushed. Patience and consistency are virtues in a SLAM.
- I doubt your sand needs to be deep-cleaned being so young. You can if you wish, but I don't think it's limiting your performance for the SLAM
- The stairs might be a factor. Since your SLAM is so young, play it by ear. If you find later you don't pass an OCLT, or FC continues to drop for no reason, that would be an area to check.
- Based on your work schedule, the sun will take some FC during the day. It might just prolong the SLAM a bit, but that's okay.
- When was the last time you checked your CYA? With all of our bad weather, if you are getting some sunshine this week, you might want to verify that CYA to ensure you are at the proper FC level (just in case)
- Oh, and at some point, you may want to switch to the 10ml sample size for FC testing just to focus more on accuracy.

Last time I checked my cya was the day I started slamming...Im totally out of reagent to check, so I need to get more..I was thinking the same thing...When I did the diluted test, I could fill the tube all the way to the top and still see the black dot...after that, I was told to then check it normal without the dilution, and that's when I determined it was around 60, and that was doing it several times, and have my wifes eyes to assist...I was curious to see if I might have been off, now that my water has really been mixed up for a few days...Yes I know its patience, but just get so discouraged when i see it still popping up in small areas...It seems like my fc levels stay pretty level at night, which I understand, for my level was 25 still this morning and its dark..Yesterday at one point it went from like 25 to 13 in 4hrs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to start cleaning them..lol

- - - Updated - - -

Kim ill take pics for you...the pool builders actually just put 40lb bag of concrete into the 5lb lowes bucket..didn't even open the concrete, just bag and all...has worked great..never has floated or rise up once.....has anyone ever thought to stick a short hose through one of the holes, then use a funnel on top, and just blast with bleach? or scrubbing a must?

You can fill a spray bottle with bleach and spray it back there. You can also use the water hose to blast water back there to blow the debris out. Actually, hose first, bleach second seems like a better order.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.