Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone with a Triton II T60 - A favor

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone with a Triton II T60 - A favor

I was hoping someone here can help me clear up an issue I am having with my Triton II T-60 sand filter.

I am not getting sand into my pool when it is running in filter mode but I am losing some sand when I backwash.

I am looking at the owners manual and it shows that if I am losing sand when backwashing its due to a missing or broken "air strainer":

Sand loss to waste 3. Air strainer is damaged or missing. Replace damage components.

The parts list shows a air relief strainer (mesh) and a spacer as follows: Part #8 150035 Strainer ECL/TR and part #35 154612 Spacer air vent strainer 4½ in. TR50/60

Supposedly under the closure cap.

Could someone who has this filter (don't know if age has anything to do with it - mine was built pre-91) please take a look the next time you have the top off? I want to make sure I am running this filter correctly and not missing any parts. I worked hard to get the whole setup refurbished and back up and running after years of neglect and a year of not being attended to.

Thanks in advance.
    13,100 gal (?) IG Plaster Pool, Rectangular (30 feet long, 11 feet wide at 3 feet deep shallow end, 14 feet wide at 6 feet deep end.)
    Pentair Challenger 1hp 2 speed hardwired pump
    Triton II T60 sand filter
    P153 Intermatic digital timer control
    8 gal Liquidator with 3/8" upgrade

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone with a Triton II T60 - A favor

It's common to lose sand when backwashing for a while after you change the sand. You probably just added a bit too much. There's nothing stopping the sand from leaving the filter on backwash except the weight of the sand itself, so if the bed is a little high it will wash out.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Anyone with a Triton II T60 - A favor

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    It's common to lose sand when backwashing for a while after you change the sand. You probably just added a bit too much. There's nothing stopping the sand from leaving the filter on backwash except the weight of the sand itself, so if the bed is a little high it will wash out.

Thank you! I guess I won't worry as much now.
    13,100 gal (?) IG Plaster Pool, Rectangular (30 feet long, 11 feet wide at 3 feet deep shallow end, 14 feet wide at 6 feet deep end.)
    Pentair Challenger 1hp 2 speed hardwired pump
    Triton II T60 sand filter
    P153 Intermatic digital timer control
    8 gal Liquidator with 3/8" upgrade