Solar covers

May 31, 2016
Warne, NC
I have another question for the pros ).

What type of solar cover do you guys recommend? There are a ton of different types, by that I mean clear, blue/clear, blue. round, diamond shaped bubbles, some backed with a reflective material and so on. I have read a ton of reviews on them and most seem to do the same job according to those. They swing in price pretty heavy too, but the cheap ones were getting as good of reviews as the expensive ones. I would prefer something tougher that will last, not a use it and trash it type.

I am looking for one that will help raise the temp of my pool mostly. Although it would also help keep out leave and bugs hopefully.

Also, our pool is 18' round should i go bigger and use it like a normal cover and wrap it around or trim it to fit the exact size. That is what most people in the reviews say they are doing, but I trust the judgment here more than random people giving reviews.

I guess what im asking from you all is, what is the best type to get and how much should i pay to get a good one. If you could recommend a site to order it from that would be awesome, I am hours away from a bigger city so ordering online is easier for me.

Thanks again for the help)

• 18' round, 7k gallons
  • above ground Intex
  • cartridge filter
  • 1500 gph intex pump
  • pool is new been filled around 2 weeks now
  • no restrictions on water we use a well

There are many posts about this but in general:
- Clear are the best at letting sunlight through and heat a little better than darker ones
- Darker ones cut UV light resulting in a little lower FC usage with cover on
- Expensive, cheap, thick or thin they all seem to only last a few seasons. An 8 mil cheap one is the general recommendation. 8 mil is average thickness, but not overly heavy or hard to manage

Solar Cover Myths Debunked
- Solar Covers are really a terrible name, Insulating blanket or Evaporation Preventer would be better.
- They do more good at night to reduce heat loss by evaporation (or when it is windy out).
- A pool in direct sunlight will heat faster and more evenly without a cover regardless of color, thickness, etc.
- They are most effective reducing heat loss at night rather than raising day time temps
- Since evaporation is the usually the highest factor in heat loss (think your sweat evaporating to pull heat from your body to cool you), trim it to fit your pool so it lays directly on the water.

Solar Covers.com or INYO pools are both good websites with excellent shipping. Good luck.

Personally, I have never had any luck getting my cover off with the leaves and debris. Yes, it will hold them but then it all just slides off when rolling up the cover. That's why i suggest cutting it to fit the pool on the water, but mine is inground. They do sell mesh leaf nets, that might be more what you are looking for. You could use it with a cover that overhangs. Tho any wind will want to lift the cover off.

Leaf Net Cover for a 12' x 24' Oval Swimming Pool - PoolSupplies.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.