Jun 1, 2016
Saugus
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me. I purchased a home back in November that came with an above ground pool(24' diameter). At that time the pool water was crystal clear. When I opened the pool this spring the water was green due to a mild winter. I shocked the pool with four 128 oz bottles and one 128 oz bottle of algae chemical remover. I installed the filter and pump(Hayward Sand Filter E Series E-100) back washed, rinsed, and then put the filter on for 24 hours. After, a few hours i noticed that the return jet began to slow down dramatically. I would then backwash the filter for 30 seconds and put the multi port valve back on filter and the jets were strong again. This issue went on for the last 3 days. Last night I replaced the sand in the filter. Turned the pump on and the jets were stronger than ever, but alas this did not last for long. After, 2 hours the jets began to slow down and this morning the jets were barley moving the water. I checked all the hoses for leaks, but can not find any. I also empty both skimmer baskets every night before bed. Can anyone please help me fix this problem!!! It is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance for all the help!!!!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your symptoms sounds like many others this time of year - algae. Your filter is overwhelmed with organic material, much of it you cannot see clearly. Removing algae is not a filtration issue, it's a chemical issue and I suspect your pool needs a "SLAM" (link below). Can you post a full set of test results from either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006c? If not, then that would be my first recommendation - to get one of those kits. I recommend the TF-100 (XL Option w/ Speed Stir). Next, stop adding pool store chemicals. The algaecides you add may have copper which is adding metals to your water. Regular bleach is all you need.

So post a full set of results or order one of those test kits right away and post results. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Nice to have you with us!

Welcome! :wave:

What you're describing is normal and expected when clearing a green swamp. The filter is doing just what it's supposed to do.

I suspect what's happening now is that the algae is recovering from the shock. You kill and filter some and more grows in its place. So you have an endless supply of crud to clog your filter. You have to kill the algae faster than it can reproduce if you're ever going to get ahead and have a clear pool. And as you get ahead of it, the filter will take longer and longer to load up.

What you need is to SLAM Process To do that successfully you need a proper test kit as listed in the prerequisites. Buying a proper test kit alone will do you more good than the gallon of algaecide and the bags of sand you've already bought.

Others will chime in soon with a long list of links to pool school, so here's some links to threads with pictures that show people doing what I'm talking about. If they can do it, you can do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.