Getting Ready to Convert- Help Needed- A Few Questions

May 31, 2016
us
I’ve been using Baquacil for several years so my knowledge of the water chemistry, etc…is lacking

When we took the cover off the pool this year, it was more green than previous years. Like others, last year the water was cloudier than previous years so I’ve decided to move on from Baquacil. I’ve been reading this article but just trying to retain everything http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/153-convert-your-baqua-baquacil-softswim-pool-to-chlorine

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly

1. I will increase my ph to 7.2-7.4

2. I have a 15,000 gallon pool. The calculator shows that I will need to add 468oz of household bleach (8.25%) to bring the FC from 0 to 15

3. Test it as frequently as possible and add whatever amount I need to get the FC back to 15

4. Once I lose 1ppm or less overnight, change my sand in my filter

I have a few questions though
1. I know it says to add X amount to get the FC back to 15 as frequently as possible. Can anyone give me a ballpark number of how fast it drops or how many days to convert so I know how much bleach to buy? For example, it’s basically telling me to start with about 5 jugs of bleach. Should I anticipate needing 5 jugs every hour to get back to 15 FC or 1 jug, etc…I just don’t know how fast that number will fall, how many days, etc…and want to make sure I have plenty on hand. I just don’t know if I’m going to need 10 jugs of bleach or 100

2. It says,“Your conversion is complete when CC's are 0.5 or less two days in a row” What does CC’s stand for?

3. Also, can someone point me to a good thread here that shows what chemicals I should be adding to maintain after the conversion is complete
Thanks for the help!

Hey Scooby, and welcome to TFP! :wave: You have most of it down correctly, and definitely keep that page bookmarked. It works. A few comments:
For item 2 - The calculator was giving me 333 ounces (2 gal & 2 quarts) to go from 0-15 for a 15K pool. Might want to double-check.

Question 1 - So hard to know for sure. You can expect to go through a lot more in the early stages, then once the heavy stuff breaks-down and thins-out you should see FC begin to level-off and not drop so much. Me personally, I would ensure I had at least about 15 - 20 gallons on-hand to start and go from there. That's just my personal wag.

Question 2 - CC is combined chlorine. Once your FC sanitizes the water, the residual chlorine becomes CC which is waiting to be oxidized by the sun.

Question 3 - Look at the links below in my sig. They are also available from the Pool School page. :) Hope this helps. Take lots of pics, and good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply!

A few things.

I’m showing 468oz. going from 0 to 15 on 15,000 (see photo)

I ordered the Taylor K-2006. Do you think that is overkill and should I get just a more basic testing kit?

Hey Scooby, and welcome to TFP! :wave: You have most of it down correctly, and definitely keep that page bookmarked. It works. A few comments:
For item 2 - The calculator was giving me 333 ounces (2 gal & 2 quarts) to go from 0-15 for a 15K pool. Might want to double-check.

Question 1 - So hard to know for sure. You can expect to go through a lot more in the early stages, then once the heavy stuff breaks-down and thins-out you should see FC begin to level-off and not drop so much. Me personally, I would ensure I had at least about 15 - 20 gallons on-hand to start and go from there. That's just my personal wag.

Question 2 - CC is combined chlorine. Once your FC sanitizes the water, the residual chlorine becomes CC which is waiting to be oxidized by the sun.

Question 3 - Look at the links below in my sig. They are also available from the Pool School page. :) Hope this helps. Take lots of pics, and good luck!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 44
You need the K-2006! Definitely. I'm not seeing a photo though, but I am on a work server computer. :( No matter what, I still come-up with the 333 ounces of bleach though. Are you using the calculator like this one: Poolmath calculator ?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you manually update the "Weight" block and change it to "8.25"?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhh haaaaa! That was it. The weight. :)

If you are able to bump your level back to 15 every daylight hour for 2 days, the heavy lifting could be over within a half week. OTOH, every pool is different depending on features (ladders, light, stairs etc) and starting BQ levels. One thing is absolute: frequent testing is a must. Check out my sig. I convert last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.