Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't have eyeballs ... on my returns :)

1. Back To Top    #1

I don't have eyeballs ... on my returns :)

I'm getting ready to drop my TA by adding MA and then aerating. Many of the posts I've seen so far recommend just aiming one of the return eyeballs up to aerate. But I don't have eyeballs, just two pipes/holes in the gunite/plaster wall.

So, I'm thinking that the easiest way to do the aeration is to either plug something into my Polaris cleaner return or jury rig something to plug into the regular return. Ever since building marshmellow guns out of 1/2 PVC pipe last year, the kids have been looking for another PVC project
    30K IG Gunite 710 sqft - Jandy 2 HP Pump - Jandy 60 sqft DE filter
    Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I don't have eyeballs ... on my returns :)

No eyeballs on my returns either... I always figured on using the Polaris line, if I ever needed to do the TA dance. A spare quick-release with no hose plugged into it might be enough.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

If you do a google search on the forum (lower left corner) you may find some suggestions. We've seen some pretty handy homemade aeration fountains over the past couple years.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tj_royersford
    I'm getting ready to drop my TA...So, I'm thinking that the easiest way to do the aeration is to either plug something into my Polaris cleaner return or jury rig something to plug into the regular return...the kids have been looking for another PVC project
    That'll work, AND keep the kids happy !
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

5. Back To Top    #5

I also don't have eyeballs and did pretty much what you are talking about. I bought an extra polaris quick connector ($6), plugged the large hole (pvc connector and a plastic bottle top), and attached a section of hose with a clamp. Didn't have to glue a single thing. On the other end I cut a 5" piece of a thick noodle and fed that through the other end of the hose. This creates a nice little fountain that shoots a stream straight up for a few feet.

This also really helps cleaning my pool lately. So much **** is falling off the trees and my pool is literally covered each morning. By turning the fountain on it pushes most of the stuff to the edges where it makes it easier and much quicker to scoop things out with my leaf rake.

If there is any interest I could try to take a picture at some point.
    Learning since 10/01/2008 --> 32,000 gallon free form, Unknown old 1 hp pump, Pentair Sand Filter, Raypak Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kjdiver
    I also don't have eyeballs and did pretty much what you are talking about. I bought an extra polaris quick connector ($6), plugged the large hole (pvc connector and a plastic bottle top), and attached a section of hose with a clamp. Didn't have to glue a single thing. On the other end I cut a 5" piece of a thick noodle and fed that through the other end of the hose. This creates a nice little fountain that shoots a stream straight up for a few feet.

Please do post a pic. I already have an extra quick connector, hose and noodle. Can't quite visualize the apparatus, but a picture "is worth a thousand words".
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdiver

Please do post a pic. I already have an extra quick connector, hose and noodle. Can't quite visualize the apparatus, but a picture "is worth a thousand words".
    It is really simple and when you see the picture you'll completely understand. I'll see if I can find my camera when I get home from work.
    Learning since 10/01/2008 --> 32,000 gallon free form, Unknown old 1 hp pump, Pentair Sand Filter, Raypak Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the same problem, but I don't even have a Polaris return line. My Hayward pool cleaner has to be plugged in at the skimmer basket. I'm in the middle of lowering my TA. My quick and dirty solution was to take some 1/2" PEX pipe (flexible plumbing tubing) that I had left over and shove it as far into the returns as they would go, with enough length to come out of the water. It's not a great seal, but good enough for a foot and half high spray out of both of my returns. The kids love the new "fountains".

I'm in Central California and my pool gets a whole lot of sun. For about a month and a half each year the pool is over 90 degrees, so I'd really like to put together a more efficient aerator/evaporative cooler. The PEX fits pretty well inside the return lines, so I think if I could find some kind of gasket or o-ring to go around it (for a better seal) then I could attach that to a PVC aerator like the ones we've seen here. Any ideas where I might be able to find a suitable gasket, or some other device that I could plug into the return lines? (I've looked at the hardware store but didn't see anything that seemed appropriate.)

[attachment=0:3vmj3p8p]IMGP0295.JPG[/attachment:3vmj3p8p]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20K gal, inground plaster. Pool was built in 1978 and re-plastered in 2007. 3/4 HP pump. 48 sq. ft. DE filter. Hayward pool cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

you can see mine here...1 female pvc adapter two pieces of 1.5" pvc, 1 45 deg elbow and a 90 deg elbow and an end cap that I drilled about 10 holes into it...lowered my TA from 300+ to 70 in about 4 days

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is what I came up with the extra polaris adapter I bought. Couldn't find my camera so I took these pictures this evening with my cell phone. Again, not exactly the most exotic solution but the simplicity works for my needs and actually helps with the pool cleaning (which I did after taking these photos). Might also experiment with hose/sprinkler attachments that I can just screw onto the hose end for different effects.

[attachment=1:3730vs27]pool1.jpg[/attachment:3730vs27]

[attachment=0:3730vs27]pool3.jpg[/attachment:3730vs27]
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

I've got the extra supplies and will make mine this weekend. Thanks for the idea and pics.
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Nice! Not too fancy, yet functional. Thanks for the pics, that helps a lot. I just picked up an extra adapter and some hose so I can work something up myself.
    30K IG Gunite 710 sqft - Jandy 2 HP Pump - Jandy 60 sqft DE filter
    Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    you can see mine here...1 female pvc adapter two pieces of 1.5" pvc, 1 45 deg elbow and a 90 deg elbow and an end cap that I drilled about 10 holes into it...lowered my TA from 300+ to 70 in about 4 days

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/
    are you sure it wasn't a male adapter? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100198460
    I'm probably going to put together one like yours but I want to make sure I get the right parts. thanks.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

14. Back To Top    #14

sorry...yes it was male 1.5". I got the idea from this forum..saw the idea here

http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-ae...?hilit=aerator

except I made sure to use sch 40 fittings vs the dwv fittings used in the link...I'm sure they worked just as well.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

15. Back To Top    #15

Great link thanks. What size holes did you drill? 7/16 also?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

I believe I used a 1/4" bit, but really did not pay attention, however I did aim to drill out approx 1/2 the surface area of the end cap to keep pressure about the same as my eyeball. Honestly, I think the more holes you drill, the better off you will be as it breaks more of the water surface.

17. Back To Top    #17

I was missing one of my eyeballs.
    I was afraid that the open pipe was making the other eyeballs ineffective, so I decided to cap off the one that was missing the eyeball.
    I bought an 1.5" cap something like this at a local orange big box hardware store for $.59

Walking out to the pool, I walked by my drill press. Urekea! An idea popped into my mind!!

I drilled a 3/8" hole in one of the flats, I installed it in the pool return and tightened it down until the hole was pointing the right way and now I have a squarish eyeball, and it only cost me 59 cents!! (why 3/8"?? - I don't know, just looked about right)
    The next time I'm at the Hardware store, I'm going to buy a couple more and try some different slot style designs with my dremel tool.

I'll bet if you experimented with different sized holes, pointed upwards, you could find one to break the surface of the water. If not, well then you're only out 59 cents.
    In-Ground. White Marbelite plaster. 21'-7" x 38' Figure Eightish Custom diving pool with 9' deep end. 24,750 Gallons. Pentair Challenger 2 hp pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge Filter, Paramount PCC-2000 In Floor Cleaning system with Debris Canister. Pool/House was a foreclosure that sat dormant for at least 2 years, and was an actual swamp. Using BBB and POP I made it a sparkling backyard oasis. I have a TF100 kit, and I know how to use it (mostly!). This is my FIRST REAL pool, but thanks to TFP, I know what I'm doing! (mostly!).

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm having an issue making the homemade aerator. unfortunately, my return jets aren't threaded (or perhaps more correctly, I can't get the double male piece that's in the 1.5" pool pipe out to expose the threads). so I've got a smaller hole (about 1"?) if I remove the eyeball. or I could keep the eyeball in. is anyone familiar with this situation and making a homemade pvc aerator? if it were just 1.5" I'd be done, the whole thing is made but I can't get it to stick into the return jet and stay there.

19. Back To Top    #19

if you can get a pic posted...that may help us spark some ideas.

20. Back To Top    #20

I don't have a camera I can put underwater. it's just a hole, just like when you unscrew the plastic piece that holds the eyeball and take them off. some male threads sticking out and a hole.. I was going to buy a few sizes of pvc (maybe 1 and 1 1/4") and see if anything fit. or could I put a piece of pvc in the eyeball itself? is that a standard size? maybe 3/4"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast