Algae back less than a week post SLAM

Then you don't need it. So, they are teed underground and there is only one suction line coming up out of the ground to the pump? Don't see that often. Maybe someday if you feel adventurous remove the drain cover and stick a drain king in there and see what happens.

Then you don't need it. So, they are teed underground and there is only one suction line coming up out of the ground to the pump? Don't see that often. Maybe someday if you feel adventurous remove the drain cover and stick a drain king in there and see what happens.
Yes, the skimmer and main drain are teed underground with only one suction line coming out of the ground to the pump. I will have to look into getting a drain king, but may start by simply feeding a garden hose on full blast down the skimmer and/or main drain to see if that does anything first. There is currently no drain cover (we are looking for one, but most have screw holes that are too far apart).

Here is a picture of the main drain. I have no idea if anything is below the second half. There are 4 screw holes and the farthest two are 5 inches apart. The drain opening is 1.5 inch diameter.

There could be a hydrostatic valve or plug under the other side if you are in an area with a high-ish water table. You can also try a plumber's snake if you have one handy.

Give INYO Pools a try on that drain cover. I hear they are pretty good at hunting down hard to find parts.

I started the SLAM this morning. Yesterday I only brought FC up to 9.5. This morning I tested FC from 3 places.

First, the shallow end near a return where I add chemicals:
FC: 6
CC: 0

Second, the deep end near the skimmer where I've been seeing the algae:
FC: 5
CC: 0.5

Third, half way between the two spots above where I typically pull my sample from:
FC: 5
CC: 0.5

After that testing I added 1 gallon of chlorine per pool math for a target of 16 FC (using 5 FC as my current level) then brushed the pool. I didn't notice any new algae today, but based on the testing above, it seems like poor circulation may be the cause.

Drop a ping pong ball, tennis ball or something small that will float along the edge of your pool and watch it. It should float all the way around your pool if your circulation is good. If not, it will show you where the dead zones are.

I get the best results from my returns by having them angled up enough to slightly disturb the surface with ripples, but not enough to cause an actual splash or break the surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.