Welcome from Orange, TX

Basically if I can get this down to 60 or 70, which is higher than I want, to at least survive the swimming season, I can get another drain in soon hopefully to further reduce the CYA levels. Basically being able to prove the model to my parents should allow me to show them it's benefits later. The success of this drain will open the doors to easier approval in the future.

This is just like meetings at work... :/ It would be so much easier if it was my pool, it would have been drained twice by now.

Good for you! Sorry the weekend was awful :( Weekends should be good=sleeping late, eating big breakfast, swimming in pool.

The picture are not working :(

Look around your parents area. Find their best buy that is easy to get to for bleach or chlorine. Some it is Walmart others it is the pool store and the yellow jugs. Get them all set up for about 2 weeks so they don't even have to go get some.

Kim:cat:

Update: Pool is back to regular levels, so it's safe to run the pump cycle again. We turned it on, added a gallon of bleach and let it run for a while this morning. Then, on my way to work, I stopped by and got a few numbers.

pH: 7.2 (was 6.0)
TA: 120 (was 160)
CH: didn't test
FC: 14 (was 34)
CYA: GUESSING 90 - 100 - It was raining and pump hasn't been on long, so didn't test. Will test later today if sun comes out and pump cycle has run for a long while.

The pool has a green tint to it, but that could be a number of things, even the horrible quality of tap water here in Orange, TX. The FC count is decent, however, as a ratio of the CYA levels I guesimated, so I'm thinking it's nothing I should worry about at the moment, but I wanted your thoughts?

Also, bonus, while not the quickest solution, future pool drains of a small degree can be done by draining the Spa, since I don't think a 100% drain of it will hurt as long as I run the Pool mode, and not spa mode (so it doesn't use the Spa drains). That should empty 500 - 600 gallons at a time and a small sump pump should make quick work of that, then fill it back up in pool mode, and drain again to get a few thousand gallons over the course of a couple hours.

Oh, and other than the 1 gallon of bleach, I didn't add anything, but have my dad running the waterfall to aerate and also hopefully bring that 7.2 ph up. I didn't want to add borax, considering my information on the board suggests 7.2 + aeration can get me up without overshooting. Thoughts?

Lee look at this chart:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Any time your FC drops below the min level for your CYA level you risk algae.

I like your idea of doing the spa drains. That will keep Mom happy as she can still swim and it allows you to still run the pump. It will take longer but ......

I would shoot for a CYA level of 50 in TX. Your sun is HOT and will suck some FC each day. A normal FC usage is 2-3 per day.

I am also going to give you what I give to new pool owners.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Is there ANY chance they would sign on here on their own or with your help?

Is there ANY chance they would sign on here on their own or with your help?

A good question, but I have a strange answer. My mom doesn't really do much more with computers than what her work requires, and forums would be way out of her expertise. My dad is legally blind, but very computer savvy, so he cannot read forums due to his vision issues. He mainly "watches" YouTube videos, but it's 85% listening, 15% catching glimpses of what's going on. Also will make doing pH tests and titration tests when I'm not there a very iffy ordeal... I haven't had to deal with that yet, fortunately.

I'm certainly shooting for CYA of 50, and I think with the Spa drains (I calculate approx 13 of them) I can work my way down there.

Lee! Dude you have your hands full..............you are doing a great job. Do they at least feed you supper when you are there? LOL

I see you putting how every much bleach they will be using in gallon containers with days of the weeks on them for one of the to put in each day.

Haha, I might need to eventually Kimkats.

CH = 180
CYA = 90

For now gonna try to balance what I have, and work on the hot-tub drains to dump another 8000 gallons over a little while to get those CYAs down. Meanwhile, turned chlorine feeder to 100% off so I can manage with liquid bleach to keep the CYAs from building. Also, will do as many cannon balls as possible for sneaky water replacement! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here Lee this is for you! :hug:

With the puck feeder is there ANY way you can get the left over pucks out? Even with it turned to 100% off the pucks are sitting there dissolving making puck soup :pukel: LOL

I like your way of thinking and how you are making it happen. Good job!

VERY true. Might be best to just open it up all of the way and use them up and deal with the increase in CYA like you plan on it and do NOT put any more in AND take any left over pucks home to hide them LOL

The link did not work :( It sent me to the sign up page.

I don't use Borates (too many cats that like to drink out of the pool) and my water is like a jewel. Filter and keep adding chlorine to get it clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.