Pentair Triton II TR-60 Side mount multi port 1.5" spider gasket

Hello, I believe my spider gasket is leaking. When my pump shuts down I can hear water moving through the multipart valve with my ear close to it. Also in the morning my system has lost pressure and the pump must prime itself again each day. I think I can install a spider gasket, has anyone here replaced one on this type of valve. Mine is about 10 years old but it is installed in an enclosed pool house that does not see the sun or rain. Just looking for advice before I replace the entire valve and also where is the best online place to purchase.

Not sure if this is the correct one as there are different models all 3 below are basically the same but they are different so you will need the number to find the correct spider gasket

Pentair 2 Quad DE Filters - 261050 - INYOPools.com

Pentair - Praher 1 1/2 SM10 Parts - INYOPools.com

Pentair 1.5 Threaded Multiport Valve for Sand and D.E - 261173 - INYOPools.com

Is there a number on the side?

I hope this helps :)

1.5-Inch Pentair Side Mount Multiport Valve SM 10-3

I replaced mine last year, along with the hub & laterals. However, if I could have done it all over again, I would have just bought a new MPV, the 2" hi-flow version of the valve for this filter. I'm buying the new valve this year, as I might upgrade to a TR-100 at some point.

Thankfully my local pool store had all these parts in stock, so it was just a drive across town to get them. They don't sell via their website, but you could probably order one from them if you call. It's Midwest Pool Supply in Middleton, WI.

I replaced mine last year, along with the hub & laterals. However, if I could have done it all over again, I would have just bought a new MPV, the 2" hi-flow version of the valve for this filter. I'm buying the new valve this year, as I might upgrade to a TR-100 at some point.

Thankfully my local pool store had all these parts in stock, so it was just a drive across town to get them. They don't sell via their website, but you could probably order one from them if you call. It's Midwest Pool Supply in Middleton, WI.

Mitch, Thank you - I did the same thing last year replacing the sand and laterals. I got lucky and found a lateral kit on eBay for $20.00 delivered. So far so good on the laterals and new sand. This morning I purchased the spider gasket 271104 $8.99 ebay and bottle of loctite 40140 $15.00 amazon. I assume that this MPV has the glue in type of gasket - can you confirm?

I agree with you changing the whole shooting match might have been a better choice but right now funding is a little tight so I will try this and go with the new MPV if I need to.

Before you get a new spider gasket, the gasket has absolutely nothing to do (I think) with the sound you are hearing.

Unless you can see water coming out of the waste port, that sound is water leaking back into the pool from an air leak. Find that air leak and that water will stop.

There is an article on suction side leaks in Pool School but your leak could be either pressure or suction.

Do you have any areas where it is wet from leaking water (pump running?)

Mitch, Thank you - I did the same thing last year replacing the sand and laterals. I got lucky and found a lateral kit on eBay for $20.00 delivered. So far so good on the laterals and new sand. This morning I purchased the spider gasket 271104 $8.99 ebay and bottle of loctite 40140 $15.00 amazon. I assume that this MPV has the glue in type of gasket - can you confirm?

I agree with you changing the whole shooting match might have been a better choice but right now funding is a little tight so I will try this and go with the new MPV if I need to.
That sounds right, but what ended up being more of a problem was that the spoke wall that the gasket fit into was bent, creating an opening for water to escape to the waste line.

If you're shopping online, the new 2" hi-flow valve is about $150 on Amazon.

Duraleigh, I will check it again tonight but here is what I know now. There are no bubbles in my pump strainer basket when the pump is running. I can shut off my suction valves to the skimmers and drains when the pump is not running and it still slowly leaks down. Both pump strainer lid and the top of the filter were lubricated with a non petroleum grease I purchased from a hardware store that was safe for water applications. I did replace the laterals last year taking the top off the triton TR60 filter and reinstalling the top. It is on as tight as I can get it and I do not see any water leaking when running nor do I hear any air escaping when the pump is not running. I paid careful attention last night using a piece of conduit against my ear to the filter to see if I could detect any small sound of air escaping from the top of the filter. I suspected to top of the filter but at this point all I could do would be to unscrew it again and reinstall. Considering the threads are fiberglass I was not sure how much taking it on and off would be good for the seal....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok you were right and I appreciate your advice that made to look again. Tonight I found the slightest of leaks on my sand filter pressure relieve valve. It didn't leak any water but if you put your finger against it with the pump running you could feel the escaping air slightly pulsating against your finger. On to order a new valve. Thank you to everyone for your help!! Hopefully this will take care of the problem and I can go back to relaxing by the pool.... I wish :)

Before you get a new spider gasket, the gasket has absolutely nothing to do (I think) with the sound you are hearing.

Unless you can see water coming out of the waste port, that sound is water leaking back into the pool from an air leak. Find that air leak and that water will stop.

There is an article on suction side leaks in Pool School but your leak could be either pressure or suction.

Do you have any areas where it is wet from leaking water (pump running?)

I had two problems. My pressure valve was a small problem but the leak down every night continued. Tonight I replaced the Pentair 271104 spider gasket on the SM 10 - 3. The existing one was mush like jello. Cleaned it up and put the new one on. No leak down sound in the diverter valve now. Will check it again in the morning when the pump starts but I think the spider was also bad. Thank you guys for your help I really appreciate it!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.