Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
From what I see on the forums the Pentair intellichlor more recent models beyond version 1.9 can not be field calibrated. Mine is ver 3.1.

My IC 40 is reading 4100PPM, But my test strips read about 3200PPM. (should be about 3200 based on the amount of salt I added)

The cell is clean.

Has anyone come across a way to field calibrate the newer models?

I read a post that said for every degree above 77 salt level may read elevated by 100 PPM. Is this true ? If so, It is consistent because I keep my pool at about 88.

I am in a good working range now, but if the salt drops over the season and it is reading high, there could be less than ideal salt while the unit is running. Would this damage the unit?

Many Thanks.

if the cell is happy and working don't worry about it :) Those strip salt test are not the greatest and you probably already had salt in the pool so it is probably 36/3700 ppm the taylor salt drop test kit is really what you want...

The salinity is temperature compensated. However, I think that the temperature sensor tends to fail fairly often. If it fails completely, the unit uses 77f as a default temperature reference and any temperature different from 77 will get an inaccurate salinity reading depending on how far the water temperature is from 77.

If the temperature sensor sends inaccurate information, then the salinity reading will be off depending on how far the temperature reading is from reality.

The flow switch contains the temperature sensor. You can try replacing that to see if that helps. Google replace Intellichlor flow sensor for directions.

The Intellichlor reports high salt at 4500 ppm (according to it) but will continue to produce chlorine. I had my salt above 5000 ppm due to me believing the low salt warning in colder water and continuing to add more salt 3 or so years ago. It worked fine producing chlorine then and still works fine.

Thanks to all -- if it continues to make no sense I will replace the flow/temp sensor.

Thanks again.

Update.

Brand new saline test strips record salt at 3250ppm. Bought the taylor test kit for salt and it reads 3900 PPM. So the IC40 reads 4100, and the reagent taylor kit is 3900-- I suspect the strips are just not as accurate.
Unit is happy and making chlorine when needed-- so i suspect it is working just fine. When it fails most people seem to have issues with it reading low salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.