New here, questions about things...

Look what I have for you:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Most of this stuff can be bought at Target, walmart, Costcos, etc!

Here is the hows and whys of TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It seems like a lot of info at first so do not let that scare you. Take a bite at a time and let it digest.

The corner stone of our way is having your own test kit. You can buy one at Amazon (Taylor 2006) or look at my siggy for the TF-100. It has more of what we use on a daily bases so it is the best bang for the buck.

Yeah the pool store will test for "free" but is it really free if you walk out with $$ of stuff AND have to go back next week for more AND your pool is still green?

We do this for smiles and thank yous! Can't get better than that!

Kim:cat:

Got test kit... the numbers

FC 9
TC 10 to 11 ish... I am pretty sure I did it right... it is either 10 or 11 or 2 or 3 cause it only took 2 more drops to get the water clear.
CYA 90
alkaline 180
PH 7.2

had to shock/ spank/ SLAM it with 100 lbs of chlorine over the first week it was opened. shock packs... which probably added to the CYA and now screwed me the rest of the year..

the numbers are better other than CYA and i have nothing adding to that I can think of...

any ideas other than draining it and refilling it?

ugh...

Mod note: I merged your two threads. It is much better to keep it all together so everyone can see the whole story. Kim

Re: Got test kit... the numbers

the TF 100 test kit

Did what it said... followed it closely. did the FC... got 9, added the other drops, it turned pink... then 2 more drops and it was clear again.

what statements seem incorrect?

I did add about 100 lbs of dichlore. they said it had a huge chlorine demand at the pool store.

I did the CYA test 2 times just to make sure i did it right

So what is incorrect?

the pool stores numbers were pretty close from saturday... so i know i am not to far off... they had 9 and 10 for free and total seems i am still there.

Re: Got test kit... the numbers

so 100 lbs is a little much... basically 50 lbs of burnout 73 from bioguard. another 30 or so bags of shock from clorox. so about 80 lbs, and then after all this i found this site and realized i screwed up royally cause didn't realize all the CYA it was adding. quite sure they didn't even tell me the right way to SLAM it... dump it all in at once is what they said.

so pool companies fault... but i am sure they will take no blame and sell me more stuff to fix it instead of tell me the truth.

their numbers were

Cya 84
FC 9
TC 10
ALK 120
ph 7.1 ish i fixed this a little bit myself. so it is 7.2 now

We don't trust pool store testing very much around here. Just ignore whatever they said and trust your own testing.

You are going to need to replace almost half your water. Judging by your signature that will be problematic?

yes... that is the issue... pay more money to get water here... after wasting enough already... I own my own business too and its been slower... almost considering shutting the pool down already and forget it this year

I mean, i know everything they had me do raised it up a lot... as it was nothing when i started... they should sell bleach and be honest, but they want to make money...

this place uses a bioguard computer system to test the water... it isn't guys shaking bottles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"Computer" testing is even worse, no telling when they get calibrated, etc. Never mind the water changes after riding around in a plastic bottle for god knows how long.

Many times volunteer fire stations will bring water for a small donation. Do you think that might be an option? If not, I have another suggestion.

You could divert every gutter to the pool, with stockings over the ends to catch any dirt and just manage at 90 CYA until rain replacement with splash-out gets you lower. It will take a while, but people have managed with much worse. You will be targeting 10 FC and never dropping below 7. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

the pool place yelled at me for using a gutter.... lol. it added to much contaminates. but i can do that again. already set up to put back on.

the water was in the plastic bottle for 10 mins, i live 3 mins from the place.

i can keep it over 7... no big deal.

cheaper than alternatives. I can call the local fire place... it is a nice local area. though i have heard they only carry like 500 gallons at most on the trucks

I forgot about that option. the water place would charge 700 bucks to fill up 12k gallons as it would take 2 truck fulls.

will see what happens... maybe i can call the pool place and see if they will foot some of the bill since they can't really talk their way out of it...

Then i need to learn how to close a pool as they would need to do that at the end of the year.

My other question is... is my TC 10 or 2 cause it took 2 drops to get rid of the pink again. so according to the directions it is at a 1 cause 2 drops times .5 is 1

If you've already got the setup that's great, just put knee highs over the ends to catch the "contaminants". Rain water is free water.

This summer if there are thunderstorms in the forecast have a cannonball contest before they start up. Will be interesting to see how it goes, I wish you luck.

Thanks

Re tested the numbers...

FC is 10
TC is .05 Took one drop to get it clear
the cya after using the same water and just emptying out the black dot thing 3 times and refilling it to make sure my eyes were right is in the mid 80's and not 100. more light helped as last night it was getting dark when i tried it.

so it isn't horrible... but not great... maybe getting better as i add what water i can and flush when i can.

So i guess it is all good then ;) if i keep it over 7 fc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.