Pump for Small (well-used) Pool

May 11, 2016
Tampa, FL
I amsearching AGAIN for a new pump that will work with my small 14’-42” Pro-Series easy-set aboveground pool. I purchased it fromWal-Mart with the small black pump (A/C cartridge) which attaches to the bottom of the skimmerbasket. That pump only worked for a fewweeks. I replaced it with a Bestway Flowclear2500 gph (takes the larger B size cartridges). This pump worked well at keeping the algae under control, but it died suddenlyafter 1-1/2 years of use. I live inFlorida where the pool is used most of the year and it is filled with wellwater and a dog swims in the pool. Isthis the normal life for a pool pump? Should I replace it with the same type of system? This motor may have been a little too strongfor this pool because I could not use the vacuum attachment in the skimmerhousing like I could with the smaller pump because the strong suction almostcollapsed the skimmer.

Just so you understand - proper chemistry keeps algae away - not a pump or a filter. The pump/filtration filters out unwanted particles - but proper chemistry is key to having a clear pool.

There could be a number of reasons why the equipment failed, but mostly they are inexpensively made and simply don't last... I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. For that small of a pool, I would simply see what is being sold for a new pool, and order the same size equipment.

Master the chemistry by reading Pool School here, and be sure to discard the cartridges every two weeks. They are not meant for cleaning or reuse and those filters cannot adequately clear a green pool - so stay ahead of the green with proper chemistry. :) Good luck in your search!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.