Converted to salt water system....brown water?

We have a 16x42 proseries above ground pool that we used last year with chemicals. We emptied the pool at the end of the summer and never put the cover over it. SO pine needles and other debris along with rain water (maybe a couple inches) accumulated on the bottom. We wanted to convert it to salt to save money on chemicals and we heard maintenance would be easier. We bought an Intex salt water system and a sand pump.

We started filling the pool this weekend and scrubbing it as well as getting out all of the leaves and such. But as the water was filling it was turning brown (its not our water so im assuming dirt that we didn't get out well). Yesterday we got it filled and added 3 bags of salt. The first two bags we spread out and the third bag we moved out where the sandpump is filtering the water at. The water this morning was still brown, but not as dark. And where we poured the whole bag out you can actually see the bottom of the pool. Its just cloudy and kind of greenish. I'm wondering if its still discolored in a few days (we are continuously running the pump for the next 24hrs and going to spread the salt out in the bottom today) Should I shock the pool if its still cloudy and discolored?

No, we live in town. Just city water.

I put shock in it yesterday. Went from brown to blue in about 30 minutes. All of my levels looked good. Its just cloudy now. Can't see the bottom for anything. A friend of mine suggested one more bag of shock, but that seems like a lot for our size pool.

- - - Updated - - -

What type of bleach? and how much?? Our pool is only about 4270 filled all the way up. We didn't fill it all the way this year so it has maybe 4,000 in it. We used 120lbs of salt.

No, we live in town. Just city water.

I put shock in it yesterday. Went from brown to blue in about 30 minutes. All of my levels looked good. Its just cloudy now. Can't see the bottom for anything. A friend of mine suggested one more bag of shock, but that seems like a lot for our size pool.

- - - Updated - - -

What type of bleach? and how much?? Our pool is only about 4270 filled all the way up. We didn't fill it all the way this year so it has maybe 4,000 in it. We used 120lbs of salt.

City water, unless you are near a freshwater source, can be a "municipal well" and still contain iron. FYI I live near the great lakes and have lake michigan water but the town just to my west does not and their iron content from the "city water supply" is high in iron and CH because it is a municipal well source.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.