Intex sand pump dieing

Apr 29, 2015
So I have one intex sand filter motor frozen and another that isn't sounding too swift. Anyone ever replace the motor with something better and continue using the sand filter itself? If so how is it working?

What pump would you suggest? We have a 21 round by 52 deep intex ultra frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The 14" filter (if you have that one) is certainly undersized for your pool. You'd be much better off with a 18" or larger 21-22" filter. Larger filter = less backwashing. For pump size, I would look at a 3/4 HP or 1 HP pump. Hayward makes a few combination packages in this range, otherwise you could purchase what you like separately. For example: Amazon.com : Hayward S180T92S Pro Series 18-Inch 1-Horsepower Top-Mount Sand Filter Power Matrix Pool Pump : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks for the reply. I don't seem to have a problem as far as the filter size. Once it's clean and running I don't backwash very often at all. I was thinking of a Hayward 1 hp but wanted some advice from people here that have likely had alot more experience than me thanks again

My pump died and I replaced with another newer intex. Pump and filter $157 from amazon. Handles my 18 x 48 nicely.
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI

Cheers

Actually only the bearings on the motor died, and youtube vids show a pack of $10 bearings and time is all it takes to bring back to life.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. We'll one of mine was stored in the attic but little did I know I had an ant infestation inside the pump. We'll pulled it out to replace the current one and its rusted in place.

The current one sound bad like it almost has a ping sound to it while running not really a grinding sound like bearing would make.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.