My intex pool has 'died', what should I do next?

Hi Nate81
bonding is not necessary if you just get rid of your SWG system. These cheaper pool frames can't handle the salt. There's no reason the new pool wouldn't last for awhile longer then your current one if you just stayed away from the salt. Just my opinion of course.

So if i ditch my SWG for my new pool....i just have to add bleach everyday? Seems expensive? Would it cost more to add bleach everyday or just let the SWG rot my pool in 3 years and replace?

No. You follow the pool calculator and that will help you determine how much stabilizer to put in your pool. Once you have the right amount in, that will help your chlorine stay in the pool. But I personally check it everyday. I don't add bleach everyday. my pools crystal clear and will last me many years. It's up to you. Yes, more then likely easier to use a SWG system. I was only giving you my personal opinion. I also have never used a SWG system so am only going by what I've seen in the past and read on here. Good luck what ever you choose to do. Just have fun.
Mike ��

No. You follow the pool calculator and that will help you determine how much stabilizer to put in your pool. Once you have the right amount in, that will help your chlorine stay in the pool. But I personally check it everyday. I don't add bleach everyday. my pools crystal clear and will last me many years. It's up to you. Yes, more then likely easier to use a SWG system. I was only giving you my personal opinion. I also have never used a SWG system so am only going by what I've seen in the past and read on here. Good luck what ever you choose to do. Just have fun.
Mike ��

I used cyanuric acid in my SWG pool to help maintain a steady level of chlorine. The salt water generator, somehow transformed the salt i added to my pool into chlorine. If i'm no longer using my SWG....I will have to add the chlorine myself, via bleach. I was wondering how much you have to add daily/weekly/monthly. The benefit of using the SWG was that i didnt have to add the bleach, i simply checked my chlorine levels and adjusted the timer on my SWG as necessary...it was pretty much hands off.

Are you checking your chlorine levels daily? What do they show?

During the height of the summer, I generally spend about 5 minutes a day checking the chlorine level and adding a little bleach. Every couple of days I check the PH (mine stays very steady, no aeration or SWG to cause it to rise). Off the top of my head, I might add 32 oz. of 10% in a 14500 gal. pool. When the pool isn't being used and is covered, I might not even have to add that much. I brush the pool every few days and backwash as needed. I admit, on a busy work day, I might just add in the average of what I usually use in the a.m., the recheck in the evening.

During the height of the summer, I generally spend about 5 minutes a day checking the chlorine level and adding a little bleach. Every couple of days I check the PH (mine stays very steady, no aeration or SWG to cause it to rise). Off the top of my head, I might add 32 oz. of 10% in a 145000 gal. pool. When the pool isn't being used and is covered, I might not even have to add that much. I brush the pool every few days and backwash as needed. I admit, on a busy work day, I might just add in the average of what I usually use in the a.m., the recheck in the evening.

This is about what I do also. My PH is normally ok too, but for what ever reason it's been 7.2 steady. I've added the Borax but still staying the same. Anyways, like what PAGirl said, it's not too difficult keeping the levels up with very little bleach and we both have a bigger pool. Just something to think about

During the height of the summer, I generally spend about 5 minutes a day checking the chlorine level and adding a little bleach. Every couple of days I check the PH (mine stays very steady, no aeration or SWG to cause it to rise). Off the top of my head, I might add 32 oz. of 10% in a 145000 gal. pool. When the pool isn't being used and is covered, I might not even have to add that much. I brush the pool every few days and backwash as needed. I admit, on a busy work day, I might just add in the average of what I usually use in the a.m., the recheck in the evening.

So over the course of the summer you're only adding 32 ounces of bleach?

So over the course of the summer you're only adding 32 ounces of bleach?

No, that's every day or so. Many times not even that much. It isn't super hot here, so I can keep my CYA at 30. I had my pool installed at the 4th of July last year and we swam until mid-September. I believe I used around 4 jugs of 10% and 1 or two of regular bleach. So roughly a jug per week, give or take. Hotter weeks (there weren't many last year) I tend to use more. More swimming, a little more. I cover my pool at night and half the day, that also helps keep usage down. All in all, I believe I only spent about $45. tops, including the stabilizer last year. This year it will add up a little more, since I started with a SLAM and I will have it open two moths longer. I found 10% chlorine at Rural King for $7.99/4, so that is helping keep my costs down. (I think I might keep track this year how much I spend.)

Wow, that seems like a total PITA....even with my size pool....having to add 4 cups (give or take) of bleach everyday? I think my SWG is worth its weight in gold ....IMO

Even if it rots the ()& outta my cheapo intex...i think its worth it. I've learned my pool, and i can go a few days or more without worrying about the chlorine levels at all. Granted if we've got 8 kids in it, i'll check it before and after and adjust as necessary, but if its a mon-fri and no action in the pool...typically i'm good....i might check it out after work here and there, but no worries.

What I'm more interested in is the fact that Intex seems to have done away with the 16x48 ultra frame...seems strange...

Truthfully, most of the time I guesstimate how much I need. I do test regularly, but not everyday. Like I said, the CL addition only takes a few seconds. And you probably test or should be testing, even with a SWG. So pouring in a little CL isn't really, to me, much of a hassle. I wouldn't mind having an SWG, but I'm on the fence about it, due to the metal frame.

Also, keep in mind the pool volume. I only used about half that much in my 18' pool. Bigger volume, more CL needed.

So I got a new 16x48 ultra frame. We're gonna rock this pool a few more seasons and in the meantime research which pool we'll upgrade too, most definitely and above ground.

But for research purposes, i made a few minor mods to the legs of my new intex....i'll report back to this thread in with my findings. Basically i just spray painted the lower part of the ultra frame leg inside and a bit on the out...and drilled a few extra 'drain holes' in the supporting feet. herer are some pics.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I to have had a intex up for a while now, 9 years, replaced liner 2 years ago, original metal poles, and salt water, sand filter, hard plumbed so with this being said I bought a new pool last fall at target for $150.00, and put in my shed. just for this reason. look in late fall for deals, but i would put up another intex in a heart beat, even if I didn't have a spare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.