pump and filter size for AG 15x30

PG21

May 7, 2016
Clark, NJ
hi, new guy here. just bought a 15x30x54" Sharkline Matrix pool (I believe about 11,000 gals) and getting all different recommendations from pool sites for proper pump and filter size.
I want a dual speed pump, which would operate at low speed most of the time. Is a 1 hp pump with 1/2hp at low speed be good enough or is a 1.5hp (3/4hp on low) a better option. Also is 100sq ft filter more than enough or do I need 150sq ft? I'd like a bigger filter than minimum required but don't want to overkill or spend extra cash if not needed. Hayward makes a 1hp/100sqft combo and Pentair has a 1.5hp/150sqft combo, both 2speed. I can buy separate filter and pump but doesn't come with the mounting base.
thanks for your help, much appreciated.
PG

Welcome to TFP :)

It is confusing isn't it... I have almost the same pool (16x32) I went with a pentair 1hp 2 speed and a pentair cartridge filter 320sqft... We believe bigger is better and huge is even better :) (i have a 100sqft filter on my 700 gallon hot tub)

You do not have to go that big as the cost is up there.. 1 hp 2 speed is is a great pump and works well and a 150sqft filter will just need to be cleaned more during the season, I only clean mine once a year.

I hope this helps

I too have a 15 x 30 pool going in shortly. Went with a superflo VS pump. Check for rebates it might might a VS pump more economical. In general for filters the bigger the better and longer time between cleanings. If you are debating between 2 sizes and either works with your budget get the bigger of the two.

You can use 18x18 1 inch pavers from lowes, you can do a rock base like I did or both, or if your pump comes with a base your good :)

here is a shot of both :)
AMle73hh.jpg

Short of just setting the stuff on the ground simple pavers under the equipment is the easiest solution. You can do what cowboy has done. That looks very nice and tidy and should help keap the equipment dry and free of weeds and grass. I plan on pouring a concrete slab but that's more for the heat pump than just the pump and filter.

thank you both for the info, much appreciated. nice pic cowboy, love your setup. sounds like I should go with at least 150sqft maybe even 200. does anyone have the Pentair clean and clear RP, I'm curious if it's better than the standard clean and clear

A 2 speed pump uses 1/4 of the power but moves half the water as high does, I have a 2 speed and it works great on a 15000 gallon pool.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.