Pump and filter recommendations

Nov 11, 2015
Orange Park
I am getting ready to begin construction on an 18x36 rectangle vinyl line pool and I am trying to make some equipment decision. Originally I was going to go with the Hayward Ecostar and a Hayward progrid de filter. This is going to be a very basic pool. It will be a little over 19000 gallons with no heater or spas, just a pump and filter. I have read some bad reviews for the ecostar and I am now second guessing my decision. Since it is such a basic pool do I really need a vs pump or with would a 2 speed fine. I am located in North Florida and electric rates are not too high. Also trying to decide between a cartridge filter and a de filter. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Here are the filter sizes I would recommend as minimums:
280 sqft cartridge, 25" diameter sand, or 50 sqft DE ... bigger will reduce frequency of cleaning (I have a 60sqft DE on my 18 k pool).

As far as type of filter, it is personal preference. Read this: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

For the pump, since you are starting new with a basic pool, I would suggest one of the smaller VS pumps, like the SuperFlo VS. That way you can dial in the minimum speed to have everything working. It should only be a couple hundred more than a 2-speed pump and you may be able to get a rebate. And with the VS, you will not need to install a separate timer (so that saves a bit of $ too).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.