Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't find sch 40 sweep elbows...

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't find sch 40 sweep elbows...

...and I want to do the plumbing tomorrow.

My pad calls for 15 bends, 9 on pressure, 6 on suction. I have all of the 90 degree bends I'd need, but am wondering if it's worth it to find sweeps instead.

None of the plumbing supply shops around here carry long els or sweeps in a pressure fitting. I'd have to order them, and the price difference I'd assume might be in the $3-$4 per item range.

I can get 45 degree bends...is it worth the extra time to make my own sweeps out of 45s vs. using the 90s rather than using sweeps? What would you do?

Pad is about 14 feet from the pool, using a Jandy ePump through a DEV60 and LXi heater using 2" piping.

Thanks!
    Owner built 32,000g Diamond Brite IGP with 1,300g spa, Jandy 2.0hp ePump, DEV60 filter, LXi 400k btu NG heater, PS-8 control, QT 1.5hp blower, WaterColors, Liquidator, PoolBlaster, Blue Diamond

Lehigh Custom Pools

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't find sch 40 sweep elbows...

I couldn't find any...someone here at some point mentioned they are only made in DWV fittings....as an alternative, depending on the radius needed, you can try using flex sch40 PVC aka tigerflex...you can see in my link below how I used it connect filter to pump...maybe this would work?

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

There are some here:
    http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?c ... s-Sweep-90

You probably won't be able to find them locally though.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can often find wide radius bends in PVC electrical conduit, some of which is rated for schedule 40. Electrical supply places often carry 16" or 24" radius 90s.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everybody...

Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should look more or just go with my standard els? I can't find head loss calcs for anything but standard units, so I'm not sure how much of an advantage I get anyway.

And, as my neighbor here just mentioned...it's not like it's that expensive to replumb a 90 with a sweep as long as you keep enough space between fittings.
    Owner built 32,000g Diamond Brite IGP with 1,300g spa, Jandy 2.0hp ePump, DEV60 filter, LXi 400k btu NG heater, PS-8 control, QT 1.5hp blower, WaterColors, Liquidator, PoolBlaster, Blue Diamond

Lehigh Custom Pools

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd probably just go with what you've got. A standard 2" 90 adds the equivalent of 5.5' of straight pipe. The long radius elbow would add 4.3'. Difference of 1.2' x 15 elbows = 18' of 2" pipe. At 75 GPM that would add an additional 1.6' to your TDH vs. sweep 90's.