Above Ground Pool Electrical

Instead of running a GFCI breaker from the panel for the convenience outlet can I substitute that one for a GFCI outlet and save a few bucks or is it better just to use the GFCI Breaker? This is only for the convenience outlet not the pump...

I am no expert by any means, but I understand electrical enough to run it myself. My opinion is that, not sure on how close to the pool you will be putting this outlet, but it really isn't different than any other outdoor receptacle. NEC code states:

[h=3]Article 210.8(A)(3)[/h] All 15- and 20-amp, 120-volt receptacles must be GFCI protected. This may be with a GFCI recptacle or a GFCI breaker.

and

[h=3]Article 406.(8)(B)(1)[/h] Outdoor receptacles located in wet locations that are unprotected from rainfall, must have a cover that is weatherproof to protect the receptacle when a cord is plugged into it and when not in use.

I just used GFCI outlet with a heavy duty metal in-use cover myself for my convenience outlet. I can't seem to find anything in NEC specifically stating within x' of a pool, the circuit must be GFCI. Again, just my experiences and I am by no means a licensed contractor.

The gfci outlet is acceptable to meet code. The only big difference between the two is one protects the wire buried in the conduit and the other only protects things plugged into it. If you are wiring something that is 220v the only way to do it is with a breaker. For my convenience outlet off of my subpanel I'm using the outlet style protection for that circuit. For your pump even though it's only 110v, if you wire it for a 30amp circuit you will likely have to use a breaker to get that high of an amp rating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.