Silver Supporter
Feb 1, 2015
The Woodlands TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As stated in the thread title, I am replacing an old single speed pump with a Pentair Superflo VS. The new pump came with a pair of union kits. So far, so good. The problem arose when I attempted to squeeze the union and a coupling into a short space instead of cutting the pipe in a better location and replacing the 90 degree elbow as well. When I cranked up the pump, the outflow side had a leak at the coupling joint with the union. Because I tried to squeeze it into a short space, I cut the union, and it is now no longer reusable.

Leslie's has a union kit for $80! I bought a 2 inch female adapter at Home Depot instead. I won't know if it works until I cut off my mistake and install the new piping. I can get a union kit online for $37, and will arrive Tuesday.

So, here is the conundrum. If I cut out the leaking joint and the female adapter doesn't fit, I cannot use the pump until Tuesday. (Even a leaky pump is of some value in filtering the pool temporarily.) If I order the part online, I have a leaky pump until Tuesday that I only would use sparingly. And, of course, a female adapter glued in would not allow removal of the pump without cutting pipe, though I am not sure how big a problem that is. The previous pump was glued in and never needed to be removed.

Any advice? Preferences? I feel the safest route is to wait until the proper replacement part arrives, but I know there is always more than one way to accomplish these things.

Wait for the union kit.

I have never tried to screw a female threaded coupler onto a Superflo, so I don't know if it will work or not (although you have me curious now). What I do know is that you will be kicking yourself if you don't use the union kit and you develop a leak or need to pull pump for some reason.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. The more I thought about it, waiting 2 days for the part I KNOW will work was a much better option that taking a chance with an unknown. And, waiting 2 days to fix something right that will last for years seems like a no brainer. As I stated before, the pump is circulating and filtering the pool, even though there is a significant leak. I run it the bare minimum to keep the pool reasonably clean (Actually, since I also ran my Dolphin yesterday, the pool is very clean right now.) And the new part will be here tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.