Caclium and scaling and csi

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I added Calcium Chloride because my 2015 TFT test kit said my CH was 225. But after adding I tested with my new 2016 TFT test kit and it was 425 (even though Pool Math said it should go to 325). I then retested with my 2015 test kit and it read 325. I am assuming the 2016 test kit is right but should I get a third opinion? I kept my 2015 kit on a table in our sun room (with a lot of windows) over the winter. It gets colder there then the rest of the house in the winter, but that room still gets heat, and gets a little hotter in the summer because of all the windows.

If the 425 reading is correct, I am concerned that I could get scaling if my PH rises too much. My pool is one year old and gets a lot of aeration. Will scaling result only if my CSI number falls out of the acceptable range or could a high PH and 425 CH cause it no matter what. My CH did not rise last year at all except when I added calcium chloride, so I was hoping to not have to worry about it, but am now concerned it may be a problem because it is on the high side now and my Polaris seemed to be picking up calcium (looked like crushed snow) when I opened this year (although my CH was not rising at all according to my 2015 test kit).

Thanks

p.s My CYA is 30 and my TA is 60

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.