Sand Filter Problems

In a filter that size, it wouldn't be too expensive to give Zeosand a try.

Looks like it would run me about $50... However, on this forum, I have seen some bad reviews on ZeoSand. So, most people don't recommend it :(...

It does sound like a good option though from how it works... So maybe?

I still would like to know the CAUSE of the problem. What is causing me to have this issue? I am still wondering if it's because the valve on the Sand Pump is higher than my intake. I don't see air in the line when it's on or anything, so not sure if it would make a difference or not...

Well, I can't speak for everyone, merely share my experience. I've owned & maintained my current pool since 1994. When I had to replace my filter in 2009, I switched from silica sand to Zeosand. I'm not sure that Zeosand performs better than sand, but it's certainly no worse. I maintain the filter the same as I did w/ silica sand--nothing like 10 to 30 minutes of backwashing, probably 5 minutes.

But, as always, YMMV.

Good luck!

I have desided to try pea gravel. It's only $6.00 test. I'll post back and let u know how it works. If that doesn't work, I may try the zeosand anyways. I'm scared though since I read 10-30 min backwash. The way our backyard is, we don't have good drainage and I would flood it if I back washed that long lol :)

Well, you want at least some of the gravel above the laterals so that the sand is more likely to get wedged between it and not make it down to the laterals.

Yes you want to have water in it first, the idea of the water to to buffer the gravel/sand falling into the filter so it does not damage the laterals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago - and as a last resort - I added this to sand in the sand filter - it seemed to solve the problem. I vacuumed the sand at the bottom of the pool and it didn't come out the return.

Like you - I followed all the instructions - and I used the quikrete pool sand.

Amazon.com : Purifiber Cellulose Fiber Swimming Pool Filter Media D.E. Alternative - 15oz (0.94lb) : Swimming Pool Chemicals And Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden

Just chiming in here, bought the same product with no effect I could tell.

I have same pump and never had the issue.
My guess: Either the pump is defective or the fact that your return is lower than the pump (maybe creating some siphon effect) is causing the issue.
Maybe dig down so your pump sits lower than the return?

Here's something to think about I guess- my laterals clearly had sand inside them. That can only be either laterals that are out of spec (gaps too wide) or sand to small. Am I right? Is there larger sand or some other material?

I have same pump and never had the issue.
My guess: Either the pump is defective or the fact that your return is lower than the pump (maybe creating some siphon effect) is causing the issue.
Maybe dig down so your pump sits lower than the return?

My guess is the hight issue. I already tried two different ones and same result ?. I will be putting in the pea gravel tonight, so hoping this fixes it. Like I said before, if I dig it and make it lower, if it rains it would be sitting in water. And that doesn't sound good. My back yard is fairly flat!

Here's something to think about I guess- my laterals clearly had sand inside them. That can only be either laterals that are out of spec (gaps too wide) or sand to small. Am I right? Is there larger sand or some other material?

ZeoSand is larger. That's why I may try this if this doesn't work. But, there have been reports of issues with it, so kinda scares me trying it. Plus it's more expensive to try than pea gravel and lowering the pump lol :). And I for one don't want to throw a bunch of money at it to try and fix it. ;)

Well, added pea rock at the bottom. It appears to have helped reduce the amount of sand, but still some is coming in. And I fear the longer I run it, the more that will come out because it's just filtering through the rock. So, now I have to deside if I should just leave it or do zeosand or dig a trench for the filter to see if that's the problem. Any other recommendations?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.