Concrete pool -milky water

Great picture!

As long as your SWG isn't complaining about low salt levels, I would leave everything until you get your own test kit. The salt and CH levels are both fairly low, but both can wait a couple of days. It would be a shame to adjust something only to find that the pool store test results were wrong. As long as your new kit is on it's way, I would wait.

oletrout said:
Thanks you guys/gals.

p.s. are you a Hamiltonian?

Yes Butterfly,a Hamiltonian. Do you know the area? We live in Stoney Creek, formerly know as Winona and we are now amalgamated with the City of Hamilton. on the lake in the extreme East end of Hamilton :-D
No, I don't know the area but, it is beautiful! When I saw your pic with that amazing view I just had to go and google your city :lol:

Thanks to Wiki, I read lots of interesting stuff about your lovely town and zoomed out on the map to get my 'bearings' :mrgreen:

Beautiful place. 8)

Epoxon by TBS is an epoxy coating, it will turn chalky after exposure to sunlight, in as little as one year.
You need to drain pool at least to the ledge level, power wash and recoat. Some epoxy mfgrs reccomend a alaphatic urethene top coat to prevent this chalking phenonom

Thanks for the input mwr. It's been on there for 3 yrs with no problem and it seems to be all gone now.

Anyhoo folks I got my test kit TODAY and after staring at it and asking 'what the heck have I got myself into " I went ahead and read it all and did some tests. :shock: I'm sure you guys will be able to tell where I have miscalculated and I welcome your feedback.
PH-7.5
CL-5
FC-2.5
CC-1
TC-3.5
AK-90
CAL-100
CYA-20
Water Temp-58 F.

Where do I go from here?

Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Things you should have on hand:

Liquid chlorine/bleach, and plenty of it.

CYA - to raise up to maybe 70 to 80 (but I would not do that until you are done shocking the pool)

Salt - got your salt yet? (add it any time)

You need to shock your pool. Based on the new CYA of 20, your shock level is about 10. If you can shock it tonight, that would be great. Run the pump/filter at least an hour after adding the chlorine.

Your TA, CH, pH look fine.

I will need to be adding to it tomorrow so I guess the posted #'s will be out of whack
Well, probably not much. I have always thought this was a little overblown, much like rainfall. (especially in a pool as large as yours)

Prior to filling you will have an average of 6 feet of balanced water. Let's say your pool is two inches low.....that's about three percent of your total water so your numbers will move but only 3% (In the case of CYA and FC) and less than that for CH, pH and TA. A three percent move is hardly perceptible in most pools.

Wow! you folks are quick and thorough. I just read your comments and I do have 10L of chlorine on hand. I read the article on shocking the pool but not sure how much to add based on what is written where it says "It is impossible to know in advance just how much chlorine will be required to shock the pool."
Should i just dump in the 10L?

No. You test your FC and CYA level. You determine your shock level according to the CYA chart. Then you use the Pool Calculator, plug in your FC test result, plug in your target which is your shock level, and hit calculate and that will tell you how much to add. Make sure you change the measure to metric.

oletrout said:
Wow! you folks are quick and thorough. I just read your comments and I do have 10L of chlorine on hand. I read the article on shocking the pool but not sure how much to add based on what is written where it says "It is impossible to know in advance just how much chlorine will be required to shock the pool."
Should i just dump in the 10L?
No! :shock: Don't make me come up there! :hammer:

j/k, it's my fault because I didn't introduce you to one of the most important helpers at TFP which is Jason's Pool Calculator!!! Link in my sig & on home page.

Go to Jason's Pool Calculator and enter your pool gallons, *current FC (use 2.5) your goal FC (10) & CYA (20).

*Use the FC of 2.5 because I am pretty sure you got that # from the FAS/DPD (powder turning water pink/red & then drops to turn clear) test. :wink:

Does this make sense? Try the calculator and post back.

" Don't make me come up there" :lol: :lol: That's a favourite expression between my wife and me.

"Go to Jason's Pool Calculator and enter your pool gallons, *current FC (use 2.5) your goal FC (10) & CYA (20)."

Ok -so the 10 L converts to 338 oz

The pool calculator entry i made was 2.5 and goal of 10 and I used 12% for the liq chlorine and the result says to add 372 OZ

Am I on the right track?

Thanks Ann--I just recalculated and got the same result as the first time using FC at 2.5 and goal of 10 and 12 % liq chlorine which is what the pool shop told me the strength of what they sell. Using 12.5 strength the result is 357 oz. ??
I'm using the top YELLOW row titled FC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.