New to pools, glad to be here.

Apr 22, 2016
Eutawville, SC
Got the pool with the house. 9K gal, AG, Vinyl, Sand, LP Heat, Well and don't know what I'm doing, but learning...and fast, lol. In the lower 48, SC, middle of state, come from Western NY, where the pool season is short. Pool store tells me I have copper in the water. I see that TF Test Kits sells a test kit for copper. I'm not sure why it matters if there is copper in the water or not. Maybe someone can help me out with this. I don't know if it's from the well water or the heater, or what I can do about it. I've got to think it's from the heater as they don't see it in the hot tub. Thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to learn a lot more real soon.

DJMac302

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Copper is one of those metals that once in the water can change the tint of the water and/or cause hair color to change. It can also precipitate out of the water and cause staining. A common way copper is introduced to the pool is because someone used algaecides in the past. Sometimes from eroding copper tubing (i.e. bad heater coils). Generally the only way to manage metals is by water exchange or using a sequestrant. You can find more about metals on the Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page.

I would also recommend visiting the TFP Pool School page (link below in my sig) for some great info to help get you started. Welcome!