pump leaking between seal plate and tank body after shaft seal and o-rings replaced

Apr 17, 2016
austin
Hi everyone!

I have a sta-rite P4E6G 2hp pump. Woke up one morning and half the pool (30k G) was emptied. Massive leak between the seal plate on the motor and the tank body. The pump uses a clamp. I replaced the shaft seal and all the o-rings. Used lube etc. Pump still leaking although more like a small stream rather than a river like before. Leak happens without pump running.
Background: saga began when I had to replace some filters in my DE filter. I forgot to take off the on switch on the timer and the pump ran for a few hours one morning without water while the filter was disassembled and the valves were shut. When I discovered my error, I stopped the pump and the water in the tank was really hot. Some vapor was visible. I put the filter back together with the new filters and started the pump. Everything was fine that evening when I check on the pump. I ran it thru the night as I was getting rid of green algae. I discovered the leak the next morning. 18K G were pumped out and my pool is ~ 60G/M so I figure the leak started 3 hrs before I discovered it. So despite the overheating the pump ran fine for 14 hours. When I disassembled the pump to replace the seal I checked that the plates fit without the o'ring to make sure one didn't warp and there doesn't appear to be warpage. Any idea what I'm dealing with?

There are only a couple of ways that water can leak from where you describe. It is either from the seal, the seal plate o-ring, the seal plate or the tank could be cracked typically where the clamp mates with both sides. A crack at those two parts may be difficult to find since the clamp is close to the flanges.

There could also be a leak at the discharge side of the pump and be running down the tank body and dripping off the base of the tank clamp.

I'm assuming that you had replaced the seal and o-ring after the pump had run dry, yes?

There are only a couple of ways that water can leak from where you describe. It is either from the seal, the seal plate o-ring, the seal plate or the tank could be cracked typically where the clamp mates with both sides. A crack at those two parts may be difficult to find since the clamp is close to the flanges.

There could also be a leak at the discharge side of the pump and be running down the tank body and dripping off the base of the tank clamp.

I'm assuming that you had replaced the seal and o-ring after the pump had run dry, yes?

Yes, I replaced both. I'll check for cracks. Thanks for the suggestion. Someone suggested the clamp might be the issue as these are not easy to set properly. Any thoughts on that comment?

If you have not cross threaded the clamp bolt, and it tightens down (harder and harder to turn), the clamp should be in good shape.

Note: with a new o ring, you shouldn't have to turn the clamp nut to the point where it wont turn any more. Just a good snugging up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.