Don't know if this is ok

Discobrian24

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
I have just set up the pump and filter and got all the air out (hopefully). This is what confuses me, if I run the pump on high I am around 12psi, but when I run it on low I have 0 psi. There is water coming out the top of the filter if I open up the relief. Is this normal or did I mess something up??

Other question, if I put my solar cover on it spins with the pool. I have added a bungee to stop the cover from spinning, isnt it better to have it spin as that would mean better circulation??

Is this normal or did I mess something up??
It sounds normal. On low, the pump is not circulating the water fast enough to register on the guage. Those guages are cheap and are most likely incorrect in the very low ranges. (i.e. you have some pressure but the guage can't register it. It's likely 1-2psi

As long as you can feel a decent flow of water coming from the returns, you are fine.

12psi is very normal when the pump is on high.

I think it's normal. My pump is a 2HP 2 speed and on low I'm barely a 3. On high I'm 14, so I think you are right there.

BTW, my gauge never moves to indicate a dirty filter....keep that in mind in 4-6 weeks it might be time to take it out and give it a cleaning....

Discobrian24 said:
Other question, if I put my solar cover on it spins with the pool. I have added a bungee to stop the cover from spinning, isnt it better to have it spin as that would mean better circulation??

I'd say that is just an indicator that you have good circulation -- no need to restrain it. Paint a big swirly on it and watch the show!

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.