Tested with K-2006 & need help please

Before your road trip we talked briefly about CYA (stabilizer). You want a minimum of 20, ideally 30 ppm in there. So if you are still showing none in testing (black dot never disappears), then yes, add stabilizer. We typically add granule stabilizer via the white sock method, suspended near a return jet. Squeeze it occasionally to dissipate. Once the granules are all dissolved, it may take a couple days to fully record, but just consider the CYA at it's new "projected" target of which you were shooting for. You can test it again in a about a week. Remember to use the Poolmath calculator to confirm any amounts.

The stabilizer is important to protect your FC from the sun. I would like to see another TA test result when you get time. Hopefully you come back with something like 40, 60, 80, etc.

Ok, I should add that I can now clearly see the shallow end as well as some down the ramp.
TA test shows 20, no CYA showing. The pool calculator show to add 77 oz of stabilizer to increase CYA to 20 and 272 oz baking soda to increase TA to 60. Does this sound right? I can add these tonight & do I retest for anything in the morning? I'm off work tomorrow so I'll have time to do anything I need to. I'm sure there's still some gunk in the deep end. Thanks again all!!!!!

You'll need to get the debris out of the deep end, it will use up your chlorine. And brushing is an important, often overlooked, part of the SLAM process.

Thank you! I've been vacuuming on waste &/or brushing at least every other day. The pool was BLACK when we started. I don't think there's too much left in the bottom, but I'm working to get it all out. Thanks for your help :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TB, I don't recall if you are actively doing a SLAM. If so, your FC is probably fine at the 10-12 mark. CYA hopefully will register at about 20-30 in the next couple days. If you are not doing a SLAM at this time, then you can let the FC come down a bit to around 4-6 which will also allow you to get an accurate pH reading. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any test questions, or the condition of your water changes at all. Have a great day.

Re: Tested with K-2006 & need help please

It's very cloudy today, but this gives you an idea, it's much better than the black swamp I started with!
Now- Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Swamp- Pool | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

TB, I don't recall if you are actively doing a SLAM. If so, your FC is probably fine at the 10-12 mark. CYA hopefully will register at about 20-30 in the next couple days. If you are not doing a SLAM at this time, then you can let the FC come down a bit to around 4-6 which will also allow you to get an accurate pH reading. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any test questions, or the condition of your water changes at all. Have a great day.

Thanks Pat! I guess that's my question....do I need to be doing a slam?

TB, my work computer won't let me go to your photo. But I'll say this going into it blind from here ..... if your water is cloudy, that's probably organic material that still needs to be eliminated. I would be prepared to do a SLAM. If you wanted more confirmation, you could do an overnight test as instructed HERE, but I suspect a SLAM will be needed. Good thing is your water is not a swamp, and you've done a lot of great work already. Plus, your current levels are in perfect shape to simply start the SLAM. Treat your pool as a CYA of 30 and keep the FC at 12 and maintain that 12 FC until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria. The SLAM link is below in my sig if you need it. A SLAM will clear your cloudy water if you follow those instructions. Let us know if you have any questions.

Re: Tested with K-2006 & need help please

imagejpeg

- - - Updated - - -

TB, my work computer won't let me go to your photo. But I'll say this going into it blind from here ..... if your water is cloudy, that's probably organic material that still needs to be eliminated. I would be prepared to do a SLAM. If you wanted more confirmation, you could do an overnight test as instructed HERE, but I suspect a SLAM will be needed. Good thing is your water is not a swamp, and you've done a lot of great work already. Plus, your current levels are in perfect shape to simply start the SLAM. Treat your pool as a CYA of 30 and keep the FC at 12 and maintain that 12 FC until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria. The SLAM link is below in my sig if you need it. A SLAM will clear your cloudy water if you follow those instructions. Let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks Pat! I'll do the overnight test just to confirm. Thanks again for all of your help!

I can't thank you all enough! I will becoming a supporter when we get this house sold! Right now we are almost eating Raman noodles! Ha! I just have one more question & want to make sure I'm clear on slamming if you don't mind...
I see slamming shows to vac/and or brush the pool & backwash as needed, but I just added stabilizer yesterday & I'm not supposed to backwash unless necessary? Should I just stick to brushing?
While slamming I'll need to keep FC to 12, checking at least am & pm.
Slamming is done CC is .5 or lower, pass OCLT, and have clear water
Sound about right?
Thank you!

A dirty sand filter does a better job clearing the water than a clean sand filter. You need to backwash whenever the clean pressure (which is the pressure right after you backwash) rises 25%. Backwashing is necessary regardless of whether you are SLAMing or not SLAMing.

Keep brushing at least once a day... more if possible and keep an eye on that pressure. FYI, It takes a sand filter longer to get the water gin clear, so some POP (pool owner patience) will be needed.

You're correct on the 3 criteria. Just don't get impatient. :) It's tough not to rush, especially near the end. Try to keep FC at 12 consistently throughout the day without too many drops below 12. If you have to step away for a while, increase to maybe 14 or so as a little buffer until you get back. The backwashing is really more to protect those folks who "may" have dropped stabilizer directly into the skimmer, thereby resulting in granules still sitting in the filter. Since you did the sock-soaking method and it's all dispersed, you should be fine. Backwash when pressure increase by about 25%. Sounds like you've got it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.